Finally some real news. I took a second look at the caps, and while they were in the correct numerical order. THEY WERE NUMBERED BACKWARDS! The number 5 cap was at the front of the engine. (i believe this is backwards right?)

In any case, if i were to just get new bearings and put it back together in the correct order (1 being at the front of the engine) would it work alright? I'd really like to not have it line bored since no one here in town does it, but i don't want to be tearing down the engine again. Also are the numbers on the main caps supposed to go on the driver or passenger side?

Another thing, when i was at the shop i measured the rod journals and after machining they measured 2.354. I asked why they were 6 thousands under a .020 over, and he showed me a book that said stock journals were 2.374. I assumed that the book was right, but now every where i'm reading says that stock journals are 2.380, and .020 under would be 2.360!!!!

WHAT IS THE STOCK ROD JOURNAL SIZE ON a (cast 1970) 1971 mopar 383?
and what would a .020 under be. No websights selling bearings show the exact size.

EDIT: I have found even more sources that state the stock rod journals are 2.375". So maybee his book was right after all (in don taylors big block mopar engines, he states 2.380" and that was the first book i grabbed). And even more, they actually measured about 2.3545. So i now feel he might have done a really good job.

Last edited by VoodooCLD; 03/15/12 09:03 PM.