Quote:

Currently,I have a gearvendors in my 74 Roadrunner. I built my own tranny internal under supervision, reverse manual valve body..., 2600 stall, and installed the tailshaft with GV unit on afterwards.
I vastly recommend it, as planetary gears, it takes a serious beating. The overdrive, .78, is close to most cars/trucks overdrive in general... Unless you MUST sit at 100mph constantly, with my 410s and a 27.5" tire I can sit comfortably at 75mph.
The PROS - Its overdrive is absolutely fine for an automatic. Yes the 5 speeds have better setups like .64 etc...but depends what you are looking for. The install was extremely straight forward, has not ONCE given me a problem. I find the .78 to be sufficient for my cruising with the 4:10s, maybe 3:91s may have been better to bring my rpms down a little or cruise at 80 instead, however givig up 4:10s was not an option...
The CONS - There WAS "smashing" that had to be done... whether or not it was because the 73/74 bbodies have the isolated members changing position, or whether they just do not fit exactly, i do not know. However had to aleviate the tranny tunnel about 1/2 to make enough clearance for it. Since, its not a survivor or rare vehcile, not that big of a deal. I also notice, as I have my tranny setup to slam into gear and chirp second at any speed, a slight lose of transfer since it goes through the tranny - GV -rearend-tires...Not that bad though...

If I don't have a tranny currently and the GV setup with new trans is more money would you still think it is the best route?