This is always a heated discussion. The average rt of the delay box class is almost always better than the no box and or foot brake class. That being said, there are drivers in the no box category that can and do have better averages than many of the box racers. Why? Because when you miss with a box its typically a bunch. Now that being said what you guys that have never used a box might not realize is that these things are alot more than just a plain delay anymore. Like the pro stage stuff where the throttle falls to the floor and all you have to do is worry about bumpin in consistent and let go on the first flash of anything. And then there is the bumpdown. Oh crap I missed it and start banging on the bumpdown taking .01 out on every hit of that button. Seen a racer that took .08 out bumping down. He would have been .100 on the tree and ended up .020 and won the rd. It is not a level playing field even though there are guys that can compete. I feel that I am one of those guys; but I would venture to say that the percentage of guys that can average an actual .020 or better without a box is much lower than with. Where I find the real disadvantage is the consistency of the cars. The vast majority of footbrake non delay cars are back halved cars at most that are much less consistent than the dragsters and tube chassis cars. Big disadvantage! You rarely chase these cars. Disadantage for two reasons. First chance to red light and you dont have the race out in front of you.
Bottom line is that consistently the bottom bulbers are going to be at a disadvantage. But the great thing is that on any given day we can take out the box cars. I really like the races that separate the bottom from the top until the final. I really like my odds on a one shot deal! Of course by that time you really have your car dialed in typically.
And keep in mind that there are always exceptions to the rule but as a general statement that includes the not so good footbrake and no box guys we are at a disadvantage.

AFCO, Rons Fuel Injection sponsored Dodge Challenger Mention Street Lethal Motorsports