Quote:

well, all this is getting interesting. i'm hearing both sides of the story, that the PCV should be closed at idle, that it should be open at idle.

i think it is time for a little PCV theory investigation on my part.

here are things as they stand:

- i'm eliminating the PCV to see if that changes my oil consumption. i may put it back later, but for now i need to at least rule that aspect out.

- according to tim at FHO, just get rid of it.

- either way, i don't think my valve is working correctly, as it seems to not be able to fully close, and therefore restrict the air flow, (whether it is at idle or WOT).

- i just retuned the carbs after taking the PCV out, and i'm running 13" of vacuum at idle. more than enough to close that valve if it is supposed to be closed at idle.

- i don't know the piston to wall clearance. there are times when starting the engine cold that i hear some piston slap, so i'm sure i have issues there.

- pcv was connected to carb, not manifold.

will see what no PCV does, but i also need to determine if mine is working correctly. if it isn't, then once i see what happens with oil consumption, i will decide if i want to get one that is working and put it back on. i too like the idea of some additional help in ventilating the crankcase.

A PCV doesnt close all the way... at idle it has a
small orfice that its pulling air... then as you
step on the gas the engine drops in vac and opens another
larger orfice