an attempt to answer all the latest questions:

- alum mopar heads, older versions.

- heads were recently done by a very reputable head guy. guides were fine, new seals.

- 69 and down valve covers, inserts for the spark plug tubes in the heads

- don't remember the intake gasket brand. intake with no gaskets had even distance all the way around between the heads and intake. with gasket in place, there was room to squish the gasket. no end seal gaskets, just used the right stuff to seal ends. sealed both sides of the gasket according to tim bannings instructions.

- grandpa, i don't think i have the same issue, but wouldn't know with the intake on. i will have to look at a picture of the manifold and heads.

i don't think i'm leaking at the intake. i had a cotton swab down in the port past where the intake seals, and it came up dry. a light grayish coloration on the swab. when i was leaking from the intake before, i could run my finger over it and come up almost dripping.

i talked with tim at FHO, and he agreed, get rid of the PCV. i'm at least going to do that to see if it changes things.

one thing i noticed about my PCV valve is it doesn't seem to shut off. the ball is loose and wiggles around, but when there is no vacuum on it it should be closed, and it isn't. this could be affecting things...

i've got it disconnected, just need to get a breather, and will go from there.

thanks for all the help everyone