so i took the rear carb off, and i found that rubbing my finger inside the intake, it came up slightly oily. not oily like rubbing your finger along the dipstick or something, just a minor oily film. i could feel that just about anywhere my finger could reach.

took the back carb off, (where the pcv is), and it seemed slightly less. remember that the front and rear of the manifold is connected by a cross over tunnel in the manifold.

wiping a swab down in the head portion of the intake port just came out slightly greyish, not particularly oily.

the pcv Is NOT closed at idle or partial throttle, up to 3-4k. this is no load though. it is open and sucking air, and when i put my finger over it, the idle drops.

i put a piece of tissue paper over the breather tied down with a rubber band. with the pcv in place there was negative pressure, it was sucked in a bit, as you would expect.

when i pulled the pcv out of the valve cover, no pressure on the tissue.

at idle there is some visible blowby. light though, i had to look to see that it was there, but once i saw it, you do notice it. higher rpm no visible sign.

sounds like at the very least i need a new pcv. i went to the local parts store, and no breather that will fit, didn't think to check for a new pcv.