Quote:

As many guys as are selling cars right now, you would probably be money ahead getting a decent deal on something closer to "finished", whatever you decide you want, be it race car or street car, or whatever. Ant then putting your personal touches on it.

Car sounds like it needs a lot, no matter what route you go, and the $ you sell it for almost never covers what you had to put into it.

But I don't want to be a wet blanket--if you're set on then go for it.

My first reaction is to acknowledge that you are right, and to a large extent you are, but in my travels as a Snap-On man, I service some restoration shops.

Part of why I bought the car this way, is because I watched people, time after time, buy what they thought was a "nice" finished car, brought it in to one of the shops for something minor (trunk alignment, spot in the paint, door/body gap) and watch their 30,000 to 50,000 car need another 20-30K to make it "right". It really was staggering to see how many times people ran into this.

I am sad to say I saw this a LOT more often than not - to lots of people, types of cars and different ways they were aquired. The whole Barret Jackson craze got a LOT of people to throw a parts car together, shoot some paint on it, and sell it off. There is a TON of that stuff out there - way more than anyone ever could have convinced me of had I not seen it myself. I remember a 56 Chevy Belaire 'vert that came in for a fender and engine compartment paint, and left with only the floor and one door it came in with. Also saw a Pontiac Trans Am that needed the trunk gap fixed on one side, and needed EVERYTHING behind the doors replaced! Just two of many.

Anyways, stuff like that made me decide I would rather buy a cheap "junker" and put the money into it, rather than buy something better and take my chances at doubling down...