Moparts

Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda?

Posted By: bluthndr

Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 01:33 AM

Originally a 318 car, needs quarters, front fenders, trunk and rear frame rails. Not sure what will cost less to do, and what will sell for more when I'm done. If I restore it, I plan on selling it and getting a tube car. Thoughts on this? I'm sure this road has been well traveled here, and many of you came to the same decision once, so I welcome opinions of all who have been there before me! Thanks for your input!
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 01:35 AM

Entirely depends on what YOU want to do with the car. Race it, sell it, go all out or in steps...

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 02:09 AM

The car is fairly complete except the front fenders and grill, but there is very little usable above the leaf springs. I was just thinking that maybe going race car instead of resto (Hemi clone) route that I could have a driveable car for less money, although it would likely be worth less finished as well.

I need either a tube chassis kit, tin work, fuel cell and 4-link it, or leaf springs and repop trunk floor, frame rails, trunk supports, fuel tank, etc. The tube kits and 'glas body parts look to be lot$ less than the repop resto parts they would fill in for. I seriously think I could cut the whole car off behind the c-pillar and not waste any good parts, so the work involved will be similar.

Is a rotisserie "restored" clone car (as in very nice driver, not 100-point show car) worth much more than a nice race car or am I just fooling myself?

I am DYING to have a pump gas drag/drag week style car, but don't know if I would be better off doing it with this car or trying to put it together, sell it, and find a roller for sale. I bought the car with the intention (justification to my wife?) of restoring it and selling, but the market for them was better, and the car needs a little more than I though once I got it torn down to the tub...
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 02:15 AM

Whats the budget and whats the expected ET/mph of the this car ?

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 02:33 AM

Quote:

Whats the budget

I hate that line. I have never not had something cost at least 2x what I planned on in the first place... That being said, I am just a normal 33 year old guy with a normal income with a family. I am sure it will be at least a couple of years before I have something put together. I feel confident that I can do nearly all the work myself, and have the tools and experience to do it, although this would be my first full blown tube chassis race car if I go that route.
Quote:

and whats the expected ET/mph of the this car ?

The race car route a 500+ci twin turbo wedge. At least into the 9's. Hemi car would just be whatever I could get it to go and still look pretty factory under the hood - high 11s? - I wouldn't want to put a roll bar in it if I went that route.
Yes, I realize I am talking two totally different cars here, but (although I could be way off) seem like they would be similar cost to build. Thinking of either one as a pump gas "street car" that I could drive weekends and maybe race 5-10 times a year. What is "least foolish" money wise, or am I eff'd from the word go on this one?

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 02:51 AM

Its pretty simple

NO money, no go fast ..

Some money , you go kinda fast

Unlimited budget , you can buy nice parts and haul rear

9 second cars built from scratch will set someone back easy $50,000

Best thing to do if you are not ready right now, look for a deal and buy it

Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 02:52 AM

Couple of ?"s.

Do you like that type of car?

Do you want to race?

From what I understand most people never get close to what they have into a restoration when they sell and you could end up losing $$$.

If you like that body style and what you're after is a race car anyway, Get to and build the car of your dreams.

Posted By: blown572dart

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 02:56 AM

Quote:

Its pretty simple

NO money, no go fast ..

Some money , you go kinda fast

Unlimited budget , you can buy nice parts and haul rear

9 second cars built from scratch will set someone back easy $50,000

Best thing to do if you are not ready right now, look for a deal and buy it

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 03:08 AM

Quote:

Do you like that type of car?

yes - those and 69 Super Bees/Coronets are my favorites.

Quote:

Do you want to race?

yup - had some street strip stuff in my early 20s, then got into the big/lifted truck thing, then the big power diesel stuff. Time for another street strip car.

Quote:

From what I understand most people never get close to what they have into a restoration when they sell and you could end up losing $$$.

I have never really heard either way, just thought when I came across this one that the parts would run me somewhere around $10K (probably under estimating) plus a hemi, at a time when the clone cars WERE selling for 50-125K (not so today), and what (straight) guy on the planet doesn't want to own and drive a Hemi Cuda for at least some period of his life?

Quote:

If you like that body style and what you're after is a race car anyway, Get to and build the car of your dreams.

Thanks for the encouragement! When I sit back and think about it the amount of work seems staggering, but part of the reason I decided to take this on was for the experience, learning, and adventure of it. Other have done it, so I can too right?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 03:17 AM

Quote:

Others have done it, so I can too right?

Hell ya.

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/03/09 03:28 AM

"experience, learning, and adventure of it. Other have done it, so I can too right"

Sure , you can ..

Just depends on what you have to spend , times are a bit different these days.

No matter what it costs to go "fast"

One person is happy with 12's next needs 8's to be happy

If you have an extra $1000 a month to spend and you are not ready to build for 25 months

You have $25,000 to spend

It took me 10 years to build my car
Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/04/09 10:19 PM

I went from this ...

/6 rolling shell orginally from TX. Bought it in '97 for $1100. Listed as a "parts car"..

And made it into this in 4-5 years. I had insured for an agreed value of $18,500. I had about $21,000 in it. I did about 85% of the work myself. I didn't paint it but did ALL the prep work and I helped the guy with the install of the backhalf frame and 8pt cage..

Build what you want. You haven't said what year/style car you have??!!? As you know the '70-'71 Cuda's are a touch more desireable. When it comes to sell it, you may or may not get what you want for it then.. It's all up to you.. if it were ME again, I'd rebuild it with stock floors and a minitub along with frame connectors. It seems uncaged cars are easier to sell,imo..

My favorites on the board as of now are Chips Cuda and this one...

Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/04/09 11:46 PM

I have a spare one of these lying around for a cuda

Attached picture 5524957-8c8e_1.jpg

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/05/09 09:14 PM

Posted By: BloFish

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/05/09 10:44 PM

Don't be gettin' any ideas Kevin
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/05/09 10:58 PM

is this an E or A body cuda? Just wondrin...i figure its a E body since you mentioned body panels...only sheet metal for the A body are 1/4 skins.

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/07/09 12:35 AM

Quote:

Don't be gettin' any ideas Kevin

Whooo, MEE??!!! Thats all I have is ideas for now.. My priority is my wifes Scout.. I can't be having any other thoughts at a time like this...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/07/09 01:02 AM

I bought my car as a pro streeter that looked like this

and ended up going this far because the car was in real bad shape

And the money spent just keeps piling up and I am doing all the work myself and don't forget about all the tools you will need
and a place to do it in.

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/09/09 05:57 AM

Quote:

I have a spare one of these lying around for a cuda

And your intentions for it are?

You are not that far away, I have a truck and a trailer...

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/09/09 06:01 AM

Quote:

is this an E or A body cuda? Just wondrin...i figure its a E body since you mentioned body panels...only sheet metal for the A body are 1/4 skins.

It's a 71 318 Barracuda

Attached picture 5534013-DSC02239.JPG
Posted By: wingman

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/09/09 06:10 AM

As many guys as are selling cars right now, you would probably be money ahead getting a decent deal on something closer to "finished", whatever you decide you want, be it race car or street car, or whatever. Ant then putting your personal touches on it.

Car sounds like it needs a lot, no matter what route you go, and the $ you sell it for almost never covers what you had to put into it.

But I don't want to be a wet blanket--if you're set on then go for it.

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/09/09 06:23 AM

Quote:

...the money spent just keeps piling up and I am doing all the work myself and don't forget about all the tools you will need
and a place to do it in.

Tools and place to do it are all here anyways. Would just have to buy I-beams and/or something for a nice sturdy surface plate-type work surface.

Right now the car is on a blackhawk "frame jig" that pinches the pinch welds and has it's own 1" tube frame. The jig is on jackstands with only the the dash, column, K-member, and front and rear glass in it. Other than that it is just a tub with no trunk floor and about 50% rotted rear frame rails (good ones out of a donor car are sitting on the floor next to it, but...).

I have no front sheet metal for the car. I sold what stuff was there since new is now available, and the fenders on it were marginal '70 fenders (needed bucket and gills at the least). I do have a nice front valance ('71 only) panel for it. I will/would need to get fenders, grill, "t-bar", and hood, but it looks like 'glass or steel is easy enough to come by (but 'glass is less)

Floor pans need some small patches in front, but the little stuff in mostly there. It was a pretty complete car when I bought it (trim, interior, little things all there) but had been robbed for a significant number of front end sheetmetal parts.
Posted By: jrlegacy23

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/09/09 06:30 AM

If your into the diesels... then why not a Cummins Turbo Cuda

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/09/09 06:40 AM

Quote:

As many guys as are selling cars right now, you would probably be money ahead getting a decent deal on something closer to "finished", whatever you decide you want, be it race car or street car, or whatever. Ant then putting your personal touches on it.

Car sounds like it needs a lot, no matter what route you go, and the $ you sell it for almost never covers what you had to put into it.

But I don't want to be a wet blanket--if you're set on then go for it.

My first reaction is to acknowledge that you are right, and to a large extent you are, but in my travels as a Snap-On man, I service some restoration shops.

Part of why I bought the car this way, is because I watched people, time after time, buy what they thought was a "nice" finished car, brought it in to one of the shops for something minor (trunk alignment, spot in the paint, door/body gap) and watch their 30,000 to 50,000 car need another 20-30K to make it "right". It really was staggering to see how many times people ran into this.

I am sad to say I saw this a LOT more often than not - to lots of people, types of cars and different ways they were aquired. The whole Barret Jackson craze got a LOT of people to throw a parts car together, shoot some paint on it, and sell it off. There is a TON of that stuff out there - way more than anyone ever could have convinced me of had I not seen it myself. I remember a 56 Chevy Belaire 'vert that came in for a fender and engine compartment paint, and left with only the floor and one door it came in with. Also saw a Pontiac Trans Am that needed the trunk gap fixed on one side, and needed EVERYTHING behind the doors replaced! Just two of many.

Anyways, stuff like that made me decide I would rather buy a cheap "junker" and put the money into it, rather than buy something better and take my chances at doubling down...

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/09/09 06:56 AM

Quote:

If your into the diesels... then why not a Cummins Turbo Cuda

You are not the first person to say that. Believe me, 5.9L diesels rock (I have 3 including my freightliner - one which was a swap from a gas engine). Most powerful vehicles I have ever driven were a 2001 Dodge Viper, a heavily modded 2001 Cummins truck, and my blue 98 truck (avatar). No joke. On the freeway they seem to have limitless power, but 1000+ ft lbs will do that.

Aside from that, weight (front suspension issues), hood height (Cummins engines are super tall), and I guess kind of been there done that (still like it though).

I just REALLY have wanted to try and build a twin turbo, single digit, pump gas car. My intention is either to have this car be that, or provide funding (as a sold resto job) for a similar race car B-body.
Posted By: 72Challenger

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/09/09 09:12 AM

Why not truning it into a HemiCuda clone, only with something like a 572 pumpgas Hemi in it? Best of both world...hemicuda clone and single digit pumpgas dragweek racer as you mentioned.

Can be done, my street/strip car was a full weight streetable Challenger powered by a 528 pumpgas hemi having no problems running mid 10's while having a relatively mild flat tappet cam in it. More cubes and a roller would have given 9's. It's now al going into a lightweight race-only Challenger shooting for low 9's.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/09/09 11:44 AM

race car ................

Attached picture 5534122-cuda_2.jpg

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/09/09 04:50 PM

Quote:

race car ................

That car is AWESOME!

As far a big PG Hemi, I looked at that originally, and still might do that, but math says you need 1000+ hp to get into the 9's with a full body car, and I would want any hemi to be NA. Seems like 1000 hp puts me up in the 600 plus ci which gets REALLY expensive - even for a hemi.

I am a long ways from a pump gas hemi expert - or amateur for that matter, so you guys would know better. I just estimated that an NA PG motor couldn't do it without getting into custom parts mountain motor territory. Anything over 4.5 x 4.5 seems priced (and available) like it comes from another planet.

Anyone think a full body 572 Hemi can get there on pump gas?
Posted By: ProStock1320

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/11/09 10:19 AM

Quote:

I just REALLY have wanted to try and build a twin turbo, single digit, pump gas car. My intention is either to have this car be that, or provide funding (as a sold resto job) for a similar race car B-body.

As others here have said, you'll never get near the $$$ for all the parts and labor you'll have into a resto - not to mention the time it will take to do the resto then sell it before you get to that B-Body if that's where you're headed. I think first you have to decide what you really want (E or B-Body). Unless you have a clear vision of what your ultimate ride is going to be, you're just spinning your wheels (pardon the pun). I am where you are but to the 'N'th degree. I have multiple A-Bodys on the property and numerous engine blocks, rods sets, cams, heads, valve springs, pistons, etc., all just waiting to be put together - and no end in sight for any of it. I'm addressing my nightmare this winter.

If I can help you avoid the anxiety that goes with my indecision, take some time to reflect on what YOU envision, what you really want, then plan your work and work your plan.

There are a number of folks on this site that can provide excellent advice but, in the end, you are the one who ultimately has to make (and live with) the decision.

Best wishes for which ever way you go.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/11/09 12:08 PM

if I were doing the car, just mini tub it making the wells look stock..tie the frame..use good suspension pieces...build a nice big inch HEMI on pump gas and put it on the street ..restorods bring in bigger money when it comes time to sell and you will get more enjoyment out of it...
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/11/09 12:33 PM

Quote:

Anyone think a full body 572 Hemi can get there on pump gas?

Chip's cuda comes to mind
Posted By: 72Challenger

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/11/09 12:39 PM

9's (define 9's...) can't be a problem. Mine was approx 3750lbs (only had fibreglass hood) at the time it ran mid 10's with only the 528ci, flat tappet cam and single 4bbl. If I changed it for a roller, tunnel etc. it could get me the 9's but I went the 4-speed and later race only (still 4-speed) route instead.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/11/09 01:15 PM

I'd say do what you want or like seeing the most. I always loved the pro street look but just could'nt bring myself to cut up my Challenger...so i compromised and moved the springs in and got some pretty big meats under it. BUT, now in hind site, should've just done what I loved the most and backhalved it.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Restomod, back half, or tube chassis barracuda? - 10/11/09 02:56 PM

It sounds like the back half would be the way to go, do it street/strip so resale could be offered to a wider group of buyers. Doing a rusto resto with original and aftermarket pieces is time and more money consuming than a simple back half and tin. Ladder bar and coil overs would be the easiest to do. If you got the equipment go for it.

© 2024 Moparts Forums