Quote:

Just because you have "data" that states low 13s and 315 net HP doesn't mean that was all they were capable of out of the box.

I have perhaps 20 vintage 426 hemi tests in my possession. Some featured professional drivers (e.g. Ronnie Sox) driving, shall we say, "very carefully prepared" press cars. Not a single one dipped into the twelves and some had slicks and serious gears (e.g. 4.56s).

I never said "315 net HP." I said 315 REAR WHEEL HP and 350 SAE NET (measured at the flywheel) HP.

Quote:

My stock hemi was turning 360 HP net on a chassis dyno and I was still chasing a vacuum leak as well as total advance at the time (not to mention fowled plugs at the time). I’m sure it was close to 375-390 net by the time I got it dialed in. Stock everything!

What do you mean by "stock everything?" 37 model years have passed since the very last 426 street hemi rolled off the assembly line. How could any car that was built between 1966 and 1971 that is dynoed/raced in the 21st centry possibly be "stock everything?"

My definition of STOCK is when everything is EXACTLY as it was when built (35 - 40 years ago - way back when Johnson and Nixon were the Presidents).

Milled heads, decked blocks, over-bores, different cams (regardless of specs, since specs don't fully define lobe profiles), 3 angle valve jobs, lightweight, aftermarket internals, etc. don't meet my definition of stock.

Even something as "trivial" as a .030" overbore is significant because it un-shrouds the valves and raises the compression ratio, each of which increases output.

A modern, mandrel bent exhaust system fitted with modern, high flow mufflers (e.g. Flowmasters) technically isn't stock either, although I'll let that go as long as it is specified.

Let me show you an example of my definition of stock, just so we're on the same page.:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1763828

I'll bet the "totally stock" examples will be making 500 HP at the wheels 40 years from now.

Last edited by harddrivin1le; 11/16/07 08:28 PM.