Quote:

I think if you ran the numbers the stock Hemi MP pieces would still outflow the eddies by quite a bit. No disrespect for Edelbrock and their fine pieces meant. The wedge heads have come quite a distance from the old iron 906 heads that were commonplace in the old days.

What a lot of people miss is the fact that the Hemi is a no b/s design right from the get go. Nothing was compromised for street use, it is not a modified street engine. It was designed specifically for racing, and it was politics, NASCAR and NHRA alone that compromised it for steet use.

Years ago, around 83 or 84, when Warren Johnson was dominating in his Oldsmobiles, a close pal of mine was running Barnett's old PS Arrow with a 498 inch Hemi. WJ used to use Barnett's dyno, and one day we were in there with a Hemi motor, which had some ported 65 aluminum SS "K" head, doing dyno time and WJ was there with one of his PS DRCE Olds motors, which basically was a developed version of the bb Chevy. This was during a time when there was no factory involvement, or even encouragement, and we were racing any old stuff we could find around.

What we found was that Dom's Hemi actually made more hp and torque up until around 8000 rpm, and that is where the GM motors pulled away. We found that the Hemi valves opposing each other actually hurt the motor at big rpm, as the overlap cycle on the camshaft actually pushed the charge straight through the intake and out the exhaust. That is why the SS/AH guys now spend so much working with valve angle, and simplifying the cumbersome Hemi valve train.

The point I am trying to make is that in stock form the Hemi will still pretty much outperform everything. Using out of the box factory stuff, I think the Hemi is still the king of the hill.

I wonder if the newer MP (not the edelbrock ones) aluminum heads are different from the old 65 K heads. I flowed my MPs on the same flow bench as my eddies. Quite a bit of porting was done on the eddies to get them to flow 292 on the intake.

I'll have to pull the sheets on the Hemi heads but if I remember correctly they only flowed just over 300. With some mild cleanup we got them up to 320.