Moparts

How much power can a 426 Hemi make?

Posted By: Pale_Roader

How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/05/09 12:10 PM

Just curious. It seems to be getting easier to squeeze a solid 600HP from a non-stroked 440 these days with all the aftermarket heads out there. What about a hemi? How hard is it to make say, 700HP naturally aspirated with a stock stroke 426? A few guys i know say its as simple as cleaning up the heads, blueprinting the valvetrain and using a serious solid/solid roller cam and a good intake/exhaust set-up?

How much power have hemi owners typically built for something driven on the street? What would a 700HP street 426 hemi be like? Technology has come a long way.

And i've also wondered how much power the old 426 hemi stock cars made?

We're always talking about this stuff here, the usual bench racin'... and no one has owned one, just figured i'd ask here and get some real input. I'm sure there are a few hemi owners/ex-owners here.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/05/09 12:51 PM

For what its worth, mine makes a shade over 600 with old iron heads, old school TRW pistons, NASCAR rods, and a .640 lift roller, with a cross ram and two Holley 660's. Stock stroke, 434 inches, 6600 rpm.
Far from exotic, it is basically a SS engine from the sixties, with a little less camshaft (most of them used old R296 Cranes)and smaller carbs.

With newer stuff, 700 hp is pretty easy.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/05/09 04:49 PM

The top SS Hemi engines are making more than 900 HP. They actually are slightly larger due to overbore, but are still 438-440 CID. I think a 426 Hemi with newer heads like a Millenium head and all the tricks and no port limitations and bigger carbs could get up to around 1000 HP, but that would be a guess on my part. I was told a CW Hemi engine runs upward of $75k, so that's well out of my price range (about 3X).
Posted By: mbogina

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/05/09 04:55 PM

815Hp, 640TQ, 438 ci, 1970 casting iron heads w stock valve sizes, 11.3 compression, 2-625 Carter carbs, good intake, aggressive roller cam, 2.25 headers, mid 1990's technology.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/05/09 09:47 PM

Quote:

815Hp, 640TQ, 438 ci, 1970 casting iron heads w stock valve sizes, 11.3 compression, 2-625 Carter carbs, good intake, aggressive roller cam, 2.25 headers, mid 1990's technology.

Yup, 800hp is pretty attainable with good heads on a 426 + 0.030" over. I was making in excess of 600hp with my first 426 hemi...The heads are the key, and you can spend as much as you want in that area. Best heads for it are Stage V Millenium heads at that level or RBRE SS heads which are Stage V anyways....
Posted By: Dodgeman67

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/05/09 10:10 PM

Great thread guys, I was wondering the same thing.

I'm gathering parts for my 426 as we speak.

Here is what I have and yall tell me what kind of power it will make, or maybe what other parts I need.

I have a 426 MP block stock bore with a stock stroke crank, the MP aluminum heads, an older Weiand 2 - 4 tunnel ram intake that I will have to Ron's flying toilets alcohol injection, I have some Canadian roller rockers, 13.5 - 1 Venolia pistons, and some Keith Black aluminum rods.

What roller cam do I need to make the most power? I also have to buy lifters, pushrods, and valve springs, and maybe valves.

What header tube size do I need, and on these I plan to build a 540" short block later to put in the car under my current top end, so what header size will I need for it and I will build them now.

It's going in our racecar, no street driving.

With the right cam, what kind of power are we looking at?

Thanks
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/05/09 10:14 PM

I hope to squeeze out 800+Hp with the new engine which is a little bit bigger than a stock 426 engine. I really think to make good power with the the Hemi, the design really likes good cylinder pressure, and responds well to larger cams.
Here is some flow numbers with today's technology.
I'm hoping the added stroke and bore will lower the engines power band some, which will really make it a nice bracket engine that isn't killing its self every run with 7500-8000 rpm passes.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...test/index.html
^^^ Here is a great article on what can be expect out of a mild crate Hemi with just some bolt on parts. I bet the engine would pickup another 12-15% more in power if the compression was up there in the 12-13:1 range.

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/05/09 10:51 PM

I couldn't give you a power figure....but it will be plenty.

I know absolutely nothing about Ron's toilets, and I have never used aluminum rods. I always found them a bit scary.

Everything I use is pre-historic, but I know it and it's reliable. Besides, I'm a dinosaur. Brother Bob told me so.

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/05/09 11:40 PM

Crazy stuff. So, despite all the recent developments in wedge head technology, the hemi is still a level above in potential? Even the older hemi heads? I'm no hemi expert, but the newer designs dont immediately look much different than the older ones. With the wedge heads, the difference is night and day. Sounds like a 700HP N/A street hemi wouldn't be too hard to build.

Also, i meant the old stock cars, not the drag cars. What were those 70's stock cars making right before they got banned?
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 12:33 AM

Quote:

Crazy stuff. So, despite all the recent developments in wedge head technology, the hemi is still a level above in potential? Even the older hemi heads? I'm no hemi expert, but the newer designs dont immediately look much different than the older ones. With the wedge heads, the difference is night and day. Sounds like a 700HP N/A street hemi wouldn't be too hard to build.

Also, i meant the old stock cars, not the drag cars. What were those 70's stock cars making right before they got banned?

Im sure Chuck Lofgren won the Hemi Challenge with a prep'd set of 68 stock Cast Iron Hemi heads, all other contestants were running Indy or Stage V heads. They also had the smallest engine of the contest too..
Here is a article.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/eventcoverage/mopp_0602_hemi_challenge_engine_build/index.html
Posted By: HPMike

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 12:40 AM

Quote:

I couldn't give you a power figure....but it will be plenty.

I know absolutely nothing about Ron's toilets, and I have never used aluminum rods. I always found them a bit scary.

Everything I use is pre-historic, but I know it and it's reliable. Besides, I'm a dinosaur. Brother Bob told me so.

Steve:
I have some of that old stuff in mine too. I run NASCAR rods and a 440 steel crank in my junk. But it runs great and has held together for quite some time now.

MB
Posted By: dthemi

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 01:12 AM

A 700 HP "426" CI Hemi would be lots O fun on the street, but miserable to drive very far. A 500+ inch 700 HP hemi would be lots O fun too, but much nicer to drive around.
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 01:17 AM

Quote:

This motor is incredible considering those parts! I wish you were closer Mike, I'd offer you a couple of for . The curve is a lot steeper than people think.

Attached picture 5275179-RATPATROL.JPG
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 03:13 AM

F.A.S.T. Hemi's are getting 1.5 HP per CI with original heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, AFB carbs, and cams the idle smoothly.
Take away any of those limitations, and a Hemi will really fly!

Hemi's really love stroker cranks and big cams.
If your building a hemi from scratch, there's no reason to stick with the little 3.75 crank, unless you are working within a set of rules that require it. The price ends up about the same for a stock or a stroker crank.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 04:24 AM

My 472 has heavy crate pistons and rods, but a 650 roller, massaged alum. Mopar heads, milled -3 Indy with a Dom, and its a very streetable 620, 535 at the rear. Very expensive on fuel, but idles @ 850 and loves 3500 rpm cruising. 10.75 compression. I agree , those numbers above are very nice. Wish I went with lighter pistons and a hair higher compression, but I love the cam.
DT, I'd like to take your dyno-winner on a short ride with you.. Maybe at Carlisle.

Posted By: toplescuda

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 04:43 AM

im working on our 426 hemi stock stoke (kellog crank) and stock bore id really like to get a close guiess hp as to what it will make
the combo is...
stock stroke/bore
alum rods
stx-22 solid roller racer brown super stock grind (think it was 590/613 315 260@.50) something like that
uncut raised port dual plug dick landy heads
11.5-compression (run on street)
tunnel ram(weiand) with 2 1050 domnator carbs
2 inch header (i know lil on small side)
balanced , msd-7,crank trigger
so what would be a honest hp guiess based on what you guys know about hemis also what safe rpm limit with this combo?
Posted By: mr2performance

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 01:37 PM

Hey Rick, anymore info on your camshaft? I'm building a similar engine right now. Mike Roth
Posted By: Dragula

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 04:22 PM

I had a similar sized cam in my +0.030" 426 and a tunnel ram with 11.6:1 compression, and it was between 585hp and 625hp with unported Indy heads. The head flow numbers will get you a better guess.

If DLI is still around, give them a call and find out right from them. The 800hp number I quoted was from a Barton SS motor single 4bl with 12.5:1 compression and a nasty cam not attainable without line boring the cam journals out. The heads they said had almost a full 40hrs of porting into them according to the article. Basically his SS heads on a milder motor for bracket racing.

Every point of compression is about 70-80hp on one of these motors.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 04:36 PM

i made just shy of 800 hp with my 477 (4.15x4.28) stock block, callies crank, manley/barton rods, je pistons(12:1), stage V sr heads (light port/polish job) t&d/barton valvetrain, mopar performance x-ram (right outta the box, ports are tiny compared to the head) bone stock 68 hemi x-ram carbs(actually jetted 79's squared on all primary sides) bullet cam which is relatively small, made 797hp @6900 and 630 tq@5800 drive it on the street very often,uses alot of fuel but even with the turbo action j convertor its not a real handful
Posted By: Dodgeman67

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 08:18 PM

Here is my other block with the top end sitting on it. You know these hemis are pretty dang big.

Posted By: torkrules

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/06/09 11:03 PM

Quote:

Just curious. It seems to be getting easier to squeeze a solid 600HP from a non-stroked 440 these days with all the aftermarket heads out there. What about a hemi? How hard is it to make say, 700HP naturally aspirated with a stock stroke 426? A few guys i know say its as simple as cleaning up the heads, blueprinting the valvetrain and using a serious solid/solid roller cam and a good intake/exhaust set-up?

How much power have hemi owners typically built for something driven on the street? What would a 700HP street 426 hemi be like? Technology has come a long way.

And i've also wondered how much power the old 426 hemi stock cars made?

We're always talking about this stuff here, the usual bench racin'... and no one has owned one, just figured i'd ask here and get some real input. I'm sure there are a few hemi owners/ex-owners here.

I had a 500 inch stroker wedge that made 630Hp/650 torque, but it had a some work done to it (roller cam, ported Eddy heads, 1050 dom on a victor 440, 11.2 comp, zero deck)

The 472 stroker hemi had almost nothing done to it (stock aluminum MP heads which don't flow much better than the eddy's, 9.5 compression and an Engle K8 hydraulic cam) and it made 600HP/585 torque. It also suffered from too much valve guide clearance and too wide a piston to wall clearance.

After fixing all that and using one of Tim Bannings (FHO) small hydraulic cams (530ish intake/499 exhaust and 113 lobe seperation), it dropped the HP to 537, but the torque stayed the same and peaked at a lower RPM (3700rpm). Great for street driving and pulling down apartment complexes. It also idles like stock. You'd think there was a mild 318 under the hood (put the low end pull says otherwise). It's a 4 speed car and all you need to to is lift your foot off the clutch to get it rolling (like a fork lift).

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/07/09 02:30 AM

I think if you ran the numbers the stock Hemi MP pieces would still outflow the eddies by quite a bit. No disrespect for Edelbrock and their fine pieces meant. The wedge heads have come quite a distance from the old iron 906 heads that were commonplace in the old days.

What a lot of people miss is the fact that the Hemi is a no b/s design right from the get go. Nothing was compromised for street use, it is not a modified street engine. It was designed specifically for racing, and it was politics, NASCAR and NHRA alone that compromised it for steet use.

Years ago, around 83 or 84, when Warren Johnson was dominating in his Oldsmobiles, a close pal of mine was running Barnett's old PS Arrow with a 498 inch Hemi. WJ used to use Barnett's dyno, and one day we were in there with a Hemi motor, which had some ported 65 aluminum SS "K" head, doing dyno time and WJ was there with one of his PS DRCE Olds motors, which basically was a developed version of the bb Chevy. This was during a time when there was no factory involvement, or even encouragement, and we were racing any old stuff we could find around.

What we found was that Dom's Hemi actually made more hp and torque up until around 8000 rpm, and that is where the GM motors pulled away. We found that the Hemi valves opposing each other actually hurt the motor at big rpm, as the overlap cycle on the camshaft actually pushed the charge straight through the intake and out the exhaust. That is why the SS/AH guys now spend so much working with valve angle, and simplifying the cumbersome Hemi valve train.

The point I am trying to make is that in stock form the Hemi will still pretty much outperform everything. Using out of the box factory stuff, I think the Hemi is still the king of the hill.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/07/09 03:06 AM

Quote:

Hey Rick, anymore info on your camshaft? I'm building a similar engine right now. Mike Roth

MIke, I'll get the card on it, and post it...

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/07/09 12:07 PM

Interesting stuff. Now i wish i hadn't aborted my hemi plans a couple years ago. When i think about how much money that blower project would have (realistically) ended up costing, i probably could have scrounged up enough pieces to put a hemi together. Maybe i should think about this...

Far as i know, all i need for a low-budget 426 hemi is a used block, heads, valvetrain, covers and intake, yes? Anything else is just stuff i'd have to buy new for my lowdeck project anyways (pistons, rods, headers, cam, etc.)... Hell, even some old hemi parts and 440 parts thrown together making 500+ would be a cool starting point for my lil Challenger...

I'm sure some people here have put together relatively cheap hemis from time to time. Heh heh... and yes, i realize that "cheap hemi" is a fairly ridiculous term. Still, Hmmm...
Posted By: torkrules

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 06/07/09 12:25 PM

Quote:

I think if you ran the numbers the stock Hemi MP pieces would still outflow the eddies by quite a bit. No disrespect for Edelbrock and their fine pieces meant. The wedge heads have come quite a distance from the old iron 906 heads that were commonplace in the old days.

What a lot of people miss is the fact that the Hemi is a no b/s design right from the get go. Nothing was compromised for street use, it is not a modified street engine. It was designed specifically for racing, and it was politics, NASCAR and NHRA alone that compromised it for steet use.

Years ago, around 83 or 84, when Warren Johnson was dominating in his Oldsmobiles, a close pal of mine was running Barnett's old PS Arrow with a 498 inch Hemi. WJ used to use Barnett's dyno, and one day we were in there with a Hemi motor, which had some ported 65 aluminum SS "K" head, doing dyno time and WJ was there with one of his PS DRCE Olds motors, which basically was a developed version of the bb Chevy. This was during a time when there was no factory involvement, or even encouragement, and we were racing any old stuff we could find around.

What we found was that Dom's Hemi actually made more hp and torque up until around 8000 rpm, and that is where the GM motors pulled away. We found that the Hemi valves opposing each other actually hurt the motor at big rpm, as the overlap cycle on the camshaft actually pushed the charge straight through the intake and out the exhaust. That is why the SS/AH guys now spend so much working with valve angle, and simplifying the cumbersome Hemi valve train.

The point I am trying to make is that in stock form the Hemi will still pretty much outperform everything. Using out of the box factory stuff, I think the Hemi is still the king of the hill.

I wonder if the newer MP (not the edelbrock ones) aluminum heads are different from the old 65 K heads. I flowed my MPs on the same flow bench as my eddies. Quite a bit of porting was done on the eddies to get them to flow 292 on the intake.

I'll have to pull the sheets on the Hemi heads but if I remember correctly they only flowed just over 300. With some mild cleanup we got them up to 320.
Posted By: Jeff_Mopar

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/07/11 08:24 AM

Has anyone built a Stage V Hemi Conversion engine using a 400 low deck and stroked it? If so what power was made? I wonder just how much a Stage V Hemi Conversion can make if the block holds up....

Posted By: chryco

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/07/11 01:12 PM

http://www.raybarton.com/engines.htm

Attached picture 6462097-IMG_7694.1.jpg
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/07/11 02:04 PM

Quote:

SS/AH valve angles are stock. And didn’t Dominic have a stock valve train with the exception of roller tipped rockers? That alone would be the reason why he couldn’t (or shouldn’t!) buzz it over 8000.

I bet with a T&D system on it, the lifters moved to SS/AH location along with the right cam would let it pull some numbers above 8000!
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/07/11 07:21 PM

Didn't they used to slap blowers on the top of these things and make like 3 thousand horsepower back in the day?
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/07/11 08:38 PM

Quote:

Didn't they used to slap blowers on the top of these things and make like 3 thousand horsepower back in the day?

Still using the basic 426 blueprints in Top fuel motors

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/07/11 09:23 PM

Michael, the valve angles are straightened up on the SS/AH motors, unless technology has advanced in other areas that I don't know about. The losing of charge on the overlap cycle has been a problem for a long, long time....but with all of us running fairly low rpm in the old days (8g max) it was never really something that was a big deal.

Landy roller rockers was the best you could get back in those days.

Personally, unless you are doing some kind of class racing, I think that really buzzing up a Hemi to run brackets is kind of dumb. With the camshaft profiles and big inch motors available today there is no need to. Just like running with real light oil....if you are running brackets, what's the point?

Just because the SS/AH guys do it doesn't mean it's right for everyone.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 03:43 AM

Great thread, I've been thinking about this all winter and even posted my motor on Racingjunk. I'd like to build a 426 Hemi if I can find parts affordably.
Is a Hemi block more durable than a 400 block?

What would a Hemi weigh with aluminum heads compared to a low deck with aluminum heads?
Posted By: Noodle

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 05:14 AM

http://www.buyracingparts.com/blog/2009/05/05/dyno-test-mikes-pump-gas-496-hemi/

This sounds pretty simple

700 ftlbs & 851hp all in by 6700rpm
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 05:32 AM

Quote:

Interesting stuff. Now i wish i hadn't aborted my hemi plans a couple years ago. When i think about how much money that blower project would have (realistically) ended up costing, i probably could have scrounged up enough pieces to put a hemi together. Maybe i should think about this...

Far as i know, all i need for a low-budget 426 hemi is a used block, heads, valvetrain, covers and intake, yes? Anything else is just stuff i'd have to buy new for my lowdeck project anyways (pistons, rods, headers, cam, etc.)... Hell, even some old hemi parts and 440 parts thrown together making 500+ would be a cool starting point for my lil Challenger...

I'm sure some people here have put together relatively cheap hemis from time to time. Heh heh... and yes, i realize that "cheap hemi" is a fairly ridiculous term. Still, Hmmm...

One thing to keep in mind when deciding what to build, anyone can make a wedge motor run good with the right parts( I do )Not everyone knows what good hemi parts(or what they look like ) are and what bad hemi parts are (including myself) Not all 426 Hemi, wedges or SB Mopars run the same Besides, it's a lot more fun whupping a Hemi car with a wedge motor(especially with a six pak) than it is whupping a wedge car with a Hemi motor Sorry, I couldn't resist
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 05:59 AM

Just for fun how about a 70's street machine formula. Stock 426 including pistons, heads etc. Now bolt on a set of headers, tunnel ram with twin 660's or 750 doubles and a 650 lift solid cam. Something like that ran deep into the 11's. Guys did it all the time.
Tuning the carbs on a tunnel, no different than a 440, setting timing on the Hemi, no different than a 440, setting the valves on a Hemi, no different than a 440. Oh wait, install new plugs on the Hemi, hey thats a lot better than burning your hands on those 440 headers at the track between rounds...

Sheldon

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 12:47 PM

Quote:

Just because the SS/AH guys do it doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

It would have been right for Dominic, is my point! His car seemed like it was set up adhering to pro stock rules. So cubic inch was limited. But to make hp, running up the RPM’s is the answer. The problem is with mostly stock valve train geometry, running above 8000 I bet he had all sorts of deflection he didn’t know about… pushrods, rocker arms, cam, etc. He could have had a huge roller in it (and I’m sure he did) but with the pushrods bending all over the place at that RPM he isn’t going to get advertised lift. I doubt excess overlap was why he wasn’t getting numbers past 8000.

SS/AH cars have addressed deflection issues and that’s why they run above 9000 RPM making 1000 hp. If Dominic did what SS/AH guys do today back then, I bet he would have given WJ a run for his money on the dyno! And it would have been neat, too! Although I agree doing that for just a bracket car makes no sense!

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 01:36 PM

If you want to know how much hp is possible for a reliable, street trim machine here!

http://www.b2cars.com/cars.php

That’s 9 sec ET’s on a normally aspirated, pump gas, street tires (not slicks with a couple of cuts in them to make them DOT legal), solid flat tappet .650 cam (not some un-street-able roller) and some decent gears so you don’t have to run it at 5000 RPM at 65 mph and the engine will last 20-30 thousand miles. But it’ll cost you around $200k!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 01:45 PM

Posted By: RemCharger

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Still using the basic 426 blueprints in Top fuel motors

You can't say that here. Lots of people get bunched panties, and don't want to hear that they are related in any shape/form.

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 05:47 PM

Quote:

Michael, the valve angles are straightened up on the SS/AH motors, unless technology has advanced in other areas that I don't know about.

Steve, I believe the SS rules dictate the valve angles need to be within one degree from stock. If I was building a SS head, I'd want to get a raw casting from MP and angle mill the head to stand the intake port up a little.
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 06:00 PM

Here is what I'm taking out of this thread: Dave Friedberger not only belly aches about his car being out of date, but it never really made a decent number for when it was built... compared to most of you guys.

Posted By: 52savoy

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 06:06 PM

Quote:

Just for fun how about a 70's street machine formula. Stock 426 including pistons, heads etc. Now bolt on a set of headers, tunnel ram with twin 660's or 750 doubles and a 650 lift solid cam. Something like that ran deep into the 11's. Guys did it all the time.
Tuning the carbs on a tunnel, no different than a 440, setting timing on the Hemi, no different than a 440, setting the valves on a Hemi, no different than a 440. Oh wait, install new plugs on the Hemi, hey thats a lot better than burning your hands on those 440 headers at the track between rounds...

Sheldon

also..why is it fun beating another mopar? I always got off on beating up on chebbys. They were terrified of my Hemi.

In 1979, my '68 roadrunner 426 street Hemi had stock bore and stroke(and cr) , stock heads with back cut valves with a Vanke intake, jetted stock AFB carbs, Crane R-290(.690 lift). It made between 625 and 650 hp. Shelby Starkey.. of Starkey and Christian super stock fame helped me set it up and was very surprised how fast it ran with used parts. I ran just as fast as their '67 WO car..10.60s.

if I'm not mistaken all Racer Brown STX series cams were flat tappet. STR's were rollers. I ran a STX33 in the Hemi but wiped it. It was my fault because I wanted to drive the car in the winter(blizzard) of '78

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 08:37 PM

Some of the STX cams were mushroom tappet. A pain, but they worked.

Jim, I think that the rule is just now being enforced, and the angle milling the head is what they do. I was told by a well known AH builder that they have "evolved", though, where the valve angle is not quite as critical.

Michael, the charge passing through the chamber on the overlap cycle has always been a problem at high rpm, simply due to the location of the valves opposing each other. They have seemed to alleviated that somewhat. The new rocker gear and related geometry has certainly helped, but it was not the complete answer.

All this work was at Barnett's shop in Georgia, back when we are all young and virile, Michael, and I don't recall your being there. We ran the Barnett's ex Pro Stock Arrow in IHRA T/S in the mid eighties. Even messed with nitrous in the early days, but that's another story.....

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/08/11 08:51 PM

Quote:

Jim, I think that the rule is just now being enforced, and the angle milling the head is what they do.

They are not enforcing that rule. Dad and I went to the Dutch Classic with Barton last year. Daniels won the event so we stuck around for the tear down. They checked Intake runner CC’s, Combustion CC’s, Stroke, Bore and that was about it. They might do more tear down at Indy but I don’t know. There was a big SS/AH dust up about valve train angles a year or so ago but NHRA wouldn’t check it even though Barton would give them the tools to do so. So because of that everyone just runs the new lifter angles.

And you’re right I wasn’t there back when Barnett’s was doing Dominic’s stuff. That’s why I asked what kind of geometry he was running with my “?”.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/09/11 12:04 AM

Here's a combo I ran in the late 80's early 90's
+070, Venolia pistons-13:1, stock steel rods, stock(valves,ports and combustion chambers)Heads, Weiand tunnel ram w/pr 660's, Crane R290, 2.125 27" long headers. In a 2950 lbs truck went 9.70's at 145 (5.13's and 33"rear tires)
Using a calculator come to 822 Hp at the flywheel.
All parts were available in the '70's

Attached picture 6464757-ply01(51).jpg

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/09/11 02:46 PM

Quote:

Sheldon

Sheldon, i dont want to scare you, but we do think alike sometimes...

I was thinking used hemi block, 440 crank, new (longer) rods and pistons, which would help with the bobweight issue, big lumpy solid cam. I'd want aluminum heads, if just for weight reduction reasons. Tunnel ram and 660's, good headers, stick... a nice old school powertrain (though hopefully with a 5 or 6 speed stick...) for an old-school looking hotrod. W'unt that be nice...

I should have bought a block and heads while i still had the money for those conversion heads i couldn't find...
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/10/11 02:39 AM

You could build a lot of power cheap that way. People practically give away stock 440 steel cranks nowadays, stock stroke Hemi pistons can be bought for a song, tunnel rams can be bought cheap too.
The engine I bought for my 69 hemi GTX ran in the 10's at Seattle. stock stroke, cut down pistons (10.5 actual), tunnel ram with dual 660's, stock heads and a 650 lift solid.
I'm building another 472 right now with Stage V heads and I've got a Stage V intake for it but I might just go with a Tunnel ram but with injectors. I want to do a 70's street machine type deal, on the street with no hood, 70's wheels etc. But it has to run 10's or I won't do it.

Sheldon

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/10/11 01:56 PM

I wont even start thinking about this until i can find some used hemi parts... block, alum heads, rockers. Everything else is either already sitting in my shop, or simple swap meet fare. The new stuff like rods and pistons, etc can be bought as i go along, as the budget allows. Just gotta get the hard parts first...

I keep thinking about a 383 in my Challenger, not sure why i like that idea so much more than a 440, or stroker, but i do. Or perhaps the modern route, but which way to go? Either way, it wont be done until there is a stock stroke 426 hemi sitting in front ov the stick in that car.

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/10/11 05:25 PM

Quote:

Michael, the charge passing through the chamber on the overlap cycle has always been a problem at high rpm, simply due to the location of the valves opposing each other. They have seemed to alleviated that somewhat. The new rocker gear and related geometry has certainly helped, but it was not the complete answer.

The cams have changed a lot since then. It seemed the old cams were 292-296 duration and 106 LSA and the newer cams are in the high 270-low 280 duration and wider LSAs like 110-112 (as far as I know). This gives a lot less overlap for the intake charge to blow out the exhaust. This might be several years old by now.

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/10/11 06:52 PM

Jim, you are indeed correct. I know for a fact that straightening the valve angles was the hot setup for a while to alleviate that, however shady way it was being done. However, a well known AH builder told me recently that they've since gotten away from that, to some extent. The advancement in camshaft profiles seem to make sense.

To a ham and egg racer, like most of us are, though, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Re: How much power can a 426 Hemi make? - 02/11/11 12:07 PM

Quote:

The cams have changed a lot since then. It seemed the old cams were 292-296 duration and 106 LSA and the newer cams are in the high 270-low 280 duration and wider LSAs like 110-112 (as far as I know). This gives a lot less overlap for the intake charge to blow out the exhaust. This might be several years old by now.

You calculate overlap by adding the intake duration and the exhaust duration, dividing that by two and then subtracting twice the lobe separation angle. For example, a comp cams 317SSR-8 grind solid roller, for a hemi has duration of 294, 285 with LSA of 108. This gives an overlap of 73.5 degrees.
© 2024 Moparts Forums