Quote:

Just curious. It seems to be getting easier to squeeze a solid 600HP from a non-stroked 440 these days with all the aftermarket heads out there. What about a hemi? How hard is it to make say, 700HP naturally aspirated with a stock stroke 426? A few guys i know say its as simple as cleaning up the heads, blueprinting the valvetrain and using a serious solid/solid roller cam and a good intake/exhaust set-up?

How much power have hemi owners typically built for something driven on the street? What would a 700HP street 426 hemi be like? Technology has come a long way.

And i've also wondered how much power the old 426 hemi stock cars made?

We're always talking about this stuff here, the usual bench racin'... and no one has owned one, just figured i'd ask here and get some real input. I'm sure there are a few hemi owners/ex-owners here.

I had a 500 inch stroker wedge that made 630Hp/650 torque, but it had a some work done to it (roller cam, ported Eddy heads, 1050 dom on a victor 440, 11.2 comp, zero deck)

The 472 stroker hemi had almost nothing done to it (stock aluminum MP heads which don't flow much better than the eddy's, 9.5 compression and an Engle K8 hydraulic cam) and it made 600HP/585 torque. It also suffered from too much valve guide clearance and too wide a piston to wall clearance.

After fixing all that and using one of Tim Bannings (FHO) small hydraulic cams (530ish intake/499 exhaust and 113 lobe seperation), it dropped the HP to 537, but the torque stayed the same and peaked at a lower RPM (3700rpm). Great for street driving and pulling down apartment complexes. It also idles like stock. You'd think there was a mild 318 under the hood (put the low end pull says otherwise). It's a 4 speed car and all you need to to is lift your foot off the clutch to get it rolling (like a fork lift).