Originally Posted by topside
A couple of my '69 RRs had no tips - CA cars - and one had the dual snorkel (AC car); the other (335hp) the air cleaner was missing when I bought it.
Both were Decor cars, being HTs. Both built in St Louis.
The '69 Decor RR I have now (SD car when new) has tips, but AG. Also from the St Louis plant.
All my '68 RRs I can recall or have now (CA cars except one from NV) had unsilenced air cleaners, and 1 Decor car had the tips, but it was originally from CO. Non-decor = no tips.
One of my '68 Chargers (R/T) had tips, the non-R/T 383/4bbl didn't until I added them, but oddly I don't recall tips or not on a couple of '69 Chargers I owned (project cars). Both CA cars.
Can't recall their air cleaners for certain, but I think my '68 383's was unsilenced. Both had AC.
All the above were/are original cars.
If a car was dealer-swapped from out of State into CA, it might have had 49-state items instead of the CA noise reduction items.
Funny thing is that I recall the LAPD Belvederes being pretty loud when the cops would charge down the street.

I would bet a lot of California dealers both Plymouth and Dodge ordered by the truck load the unsilenced air cleaner covers and exhaust tips knowing a customer would want to buy and add those items. Like buying a motorcycle and adding a performance exhaust on day one or day two.