Dave,

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
Just to clarify, we are looking at the bottom of those rocker shafts? IIRC those holes should be on the bottom facing the intake?

Yes sir, I flipped the shaft upside to show the bannana groves I cut and the specific location of the oiling holes...

BUT

...the oiling holes and the groves are NOT pointing towards the intake when installed, instead they are pointing outwards, towards the valves.

So this looks to be opposite of where they should be aiming.

The shaft ends are marked with a notch, I set them up as follows:

1) driver side - the notch faces the front of the motor
2) pass side - the notch faces the rear of the motor

Wow, so this most trivial of mistakes (I think!) could be causing me the problem I'm seeing?

All the rebuild books I have reference the Driver's side as the LEFT ENGINE BANK. Therefore this is how I have set this up for both my CompCam roller rockers as well as these Crane pieces.

So here is a quote from 'How to How Rod Small Block Mopar Engines', p108: "...Note the notch on the end of hydraulic rocker shaft. It should be pointing to the centerline of the engine and towards the front of the engine on the left bank and to the rear on the right bank...".

Even my ancient HPBooks 'How to rebuild your Small-Block Mppar', p89: "...On driver's (left-hand) side cylinder bank, notch faces to the front of the vehicle. On opposite bank, notch faces rearward. Rocker shaft used with adjustable rockers has small flat spot in the same location...".

Sooo....which way to go here???