...not a race package, just my weekend driver, still, it hurts me to see parts damaged, grrh...!!!

Anyways, OK, so half-way through last cruising season I decided to try out my Crane ductile iron 1.6 ratio rocker arms on my SB motor (360)...I measured the correct pushrod length, got me some Smith Bros stuff, beauties.

I assembled everything, the Cranes replacing my CompCams Mangun SS roller rockers (1420-16, 1.5 ratio).

Combo seemed to work great, no issues that I was aware of.

Alright...so the warm weather has finally arrived mid-west here, I pulled the valve covers off, pulled the rockers out, I wanted to have a look at the rocker nose to valve tip pattern...to my HORROR I actually found 2 separate valves with a visible amount of metal from the tip actually gone...I will post pics tomorrow, today I was far too "traumatized" by the darn experience...LOL!

The rocker arms are fine, but the valve tip has about 0.5 mm of metal gone in just a half of the tip, towards the exhaust. Worse yet, the pushrods cup ends have that tell-tale heat discoloration markings, and I'm looking at the two and concluding there was some seriously bad stuff with lack of oil/lubrication going on.

Strangely though all but these 2 valves are fine, although the rocker shafts themselves show similar blueing.

I am somewhat stumped, because I know I have always had good oil flow up to the top. I suspect at the moment that the oil lubrication holes in the Crane rockers are badly insufficient.

There are two:
1) top of the rocker arm
2) back-side, leading through the pushrod adjuster screw

#1 is supposed to provide lubrication to the valve tip through gravity feed I suppose, while #2 is supposed to provide cup/screw lubrication through gravity feed as well.

Anyways, I have a set of valve tip lash-caps handy. I will use them to cover up the tip damage. I know this is at best a real ugly fix, but this motor is all factory iron, way past it's age, and so pulling the heads to replace the two valves just makes no sense. This will require me to re-check the pushrods length, etc, etc...but I think I need to do something about the oiling holes in the rocker arms.

I seem to remember a thread a while back on this very topic...I searched high and low, nothing came up...went the "Internet wide/Google search engine" approach, did not find anything either...can anyone point me to this? That post talked about specific location where the additional oil passage should be drilled and which of the current two should be closed with a set-screw (I think...).

Thanks!