Originally Posted By Iowan
I don't understand the need to bash anyone for using cast iron heads over aluminum, hell I know guys that are hotrodding flatheads. I Would not use the valves, springs etc. that come with the cheaper heads, buy them bear and put good parts in. I personally like being told you can't make power with a set of 915s and you need to have bla bla aluminum heads, only to come up with 620 tq and 645 hp from 3000 to 6500, a great street motor that has and will run to 7K.
To each his own.
Nobody was really bashing him, just pointing out that it makes no sense money wise, at least until he mentioned FAST racing a few posts later. To make iron heads as good as some of the out of the box alum heads will take a serious outlay of cash. You will end up with WAY more money in the iron heads and they still won't be as good or as reliable.

FAST racing is another animal all together and those heads will be REALLY expensive, plus the fact that max effort ported cast iron heads are prone to cracking.

Someone wants to sink money in ported iron heads, that's obviously their choice but it makes no financial sense in the HP vs money spent debate. Other than to claim you have stock castings. Which sure doesn't matter when you are getting outrun