Good post.

People have strong ideas about their cars and the hobby. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some get pretty nasty when others don't agree with THEIR ideas. I try to take the high road and keep the emotions out of it which is sometimes hard when people start slinging mud at you.

Here is something I posted sometime ago on another site.

What does restore really mean? Obviously, it can mean many different things to different people.

Some people prefer to buy a car unrestored because they feel that a restored car can be hiding poor quality work with fresh paint. Some feel that if the undercarriage is painted in an area that should have a natural rusted finish that the owner has taken a shortcut and if they do that on one componant where else did they take short cuts you can't see.

I like a car with a combination of factory original and a day two features, that may have period correct aftermarket wheels, headers, etc.

My personal preference is to build a car for factory appearence when you see it drive by or at you first casual glance when sitting with the hood opened at a parking lot show. This gives me the liberty to do internal engine modifications, hide upgrade electronics, add some modern day creature comforts, etc. without destroying the original classic look of the car that I bought it for in the first place.

I don't concern myself what some show judge thinks a certain item should be finished as to be correct, I don't leave items unpainted to rust to a correct patina but rather paint them so they don't rust.

It seems to me from looking at many cars at casual parking lot shows that I am with the majority. There is a place for every type of restoration, just some people find it difficult to accept what is, or is not important to others.