Originally Posted By LA360
There has been very few people that have really shown what a R5/P7 engine is capable of. Most guys are buying up cheap ex Nascar parts, rather than starting with new castings etc and doing a full effort build. To that end, it's not an engine that's really proven itself as a drag racing platform.

Cheap NASCAR parts? Windberg cranks, Lentz rods, JEPistons, Titanium valves, retainers, Jesel valve train. All cheap parts, that's why most mopars don't carry this particular list of brands.

That said, Alan is sort of correct. Buy a used R5 that made 830 new. Worn rings, pistons, valves you still make over 800hp. The 575 torque and high RPM is what limits most from making record passes. I for one have not set the world on fire with little or big R5 engines. But, in fairness, I have really not put the same effort a class racer would. Both of my engines 358 or 440 would go 5.5's at 3000 with full exhaust. The 440 would do so with almost no challenge. It went 5.71 first pass in the car. The 358 would take some work. One get rid of the big motor bogging tires. Second put a 3spd auto or stick in the car and know what converter or clutch setup.

Bottom line I have raced the 358 and 440 at a lot of Mopar shows. No one with a comparable combo was outrunning me. Sure it is easily possible. The average Mopar guy spent more to go slower. I would be happy to sit down and compare receipts. So I get a little tired of people talking down the R5. For the money you can't beat it. Wanna make 900 buy one and spend a little money on it. EEI blocks and 4" cranks are available to make it much easier. My 440 will make 900 on the pump. And it is cheaper to build with available NASCAR takeoffs. Build a all new combo as Ernie has done and 1000hp has been done.

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.