Originally Posted By RapidRobert
I'm not really thinking preload but it could be if the pushrods are a bit too short & the cup is too close to the snap ring at TDC then when things get hot the clearance decreases even further till there is contact making in effect a solid lifter sort of. ~.020 is ballpark. put a lifter on base circle and set a 6" thin steel scale "ruler" across the valve cover rails then make a sharpie mark on the edge & slide it over fast till it touches & makes a witness mark on the side of the pushrod then unbolt the rocker shaft evenly till the pushrod JUST stops moving upward (no sideways movement that skews your test) & this is when the lifter cup has reached the snap ring. make another witness mark then measure the distance between the two witness marks & that is the preload distance. its easier to finish removing the whole rocker assy then so you csan remove the pushrod to make it easier to measure it. On the other idling with valve cover(s) off press straight down on each rocker arm on the lifter end with a wooden hammer handle (hurry it is a messy job).

OK Robert.....I did the last bit you mentioned on the right bank. That's where I have isolated the noise at #2. So as I was pushing down all rockers, the exhaust on #2 would bleed down, start clacking then pump back up after a few secs. The others were fine no change when pressing down So I think it's some bad lifters or slightly bent push rod?

Also put seafoam in the crankcase as well and drove for a few days so far. Seems to start loosening up as the engine is running smother if that's possible and the A/F is starting to get closer to 14.0 ish. And I haven't changes the air bleeds yet. I think I'll keep running for a while longer.

As for the top end noise, I think I should change the lifters and for sure check the straightness of the push rods.....

thoughts