The 2003 offers the following;

- common rail cures the VP44 failure issue
- no post injection event, no catalytic converter
- available NV5600 6spd
- good brakes and steering
- superior quad cab with rear seating for adults.

it doesn't have;

- plastic intercooler tanks
- TIPM totally integrated power module....so you have to spend $1,200 to fix a burnt out headlight
- urea injection
- variable geometry turbos...another complexity that you don't need, expecially when they get all sooted up due to the exhaust gas recirc.
- dual mass flywheels....just a crappy idea all way around.
- catalytic converters that need to periodically regenerate and get hot enough to rival the surface temperatures of a white dwarf star.

....I have several diesel trucks, many gas trucks and I've owned dozens more that I've sold off or traded in. I could buy or drive any truck I like but my 2003 is the oldest and best in my small fleet....I truly think that due largely to environmental regulations that the newer diesels are fraught with issues....it isn't Dodge's or Cummins' fault...they still make the best diesel truck out there but they are getting far too complicated for me to consider keeping one past the warranty period.

My 2003 has a 4" exhaust, Southbend ConOFE clutch and a Smarty reprogrammer. No issues other than common wear issues in 12 years. Truck has gotten a high of 20.5mpg and averages 16mpg in mixed driving...and it's an 8338 lbs, dually, 4x4 quad cab. Output is dependant on the programmer....between the stock 305/555 to over 400 hp and almost 800 ft lbs of torque. I tow regularly at a GCWR of 20,000 + lbs.

My "runner up award" goes to a 2001.5 ETC/DEE HO 6spd ram with the rear disk brakes....even with having to keep an eye on the VP44 and dealing with the vague 2nd Gen steering, this is an awesome truck.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]