Quote:

Quote:

The aluminum threads will pull out long before the stud breaks if you think about it.

I'd rather not...

Found the ARPs are 180,000 psi.

Not sure what the Indy studs are rated, but the longer of the two used in their 440-1/SR stud kits are 3.5+" long. If you were concerned enough to swap 'em out, you could probably get all long ones and cut down the ones that need to be shorter, 'cuz I believe their short ones are still < 3".

Just a thought (or two).

You are correct on the Indy studs. I am going to measure up the Hughes, Indy, and Jeremiah (McMaster-Carr) kit over the weekend and post the lengths. To set this straight my concern is only the center rocker stand due to it's lack of girth and problems experienced by other users.

So yes, the 3.5" studs are not a concern. My initial measurements told me that I needed a 3" stud with 1" of thread engagement into the center rocker stand. As far as I know there is only one made and having them made up custom at $22/pc is out of the question. The studs from McMaster-Carr are high quality, rolled threads. The studs from Indy look like the thread was machined. Does anyone know the tensile strength of the Indy stud? What material do they use? Do we know what tensile strength is even required?

I sure don't have enough FEA, strengths of materials or load testing experience/background to say one way or another. I do have (barely) enough experience to say we are over thinking this and I should just run them and whoop some some a$$ on the street and track.

Look at it this way - if my engine breaks because of the studs or any other of the untested parts in it we can all learn and...I have another identical 511" short block sitting next to this one.

Besides, pretty soon it's going to get hot the only car we have running is the convertible. I'll forget about this nonsense, close the shop for summer and you can find us in the pond floating around with a cold beers.

bikini clad girl > sweaty meats heads at race track

ps Do any of you guys have the ability to test bolt shear at work? I'd be willing to donate some parts.