Quote:

Quote:

$5000 for the W8, and another $2,000 to have someone build headers.

It's more then just the cost of the motor.

Again that is a one off deal. I also know a guy that bought a prostock motor for way cheaper then you'd think you could... but those deals are less common then the apples to apples conversation we're trying to have.

I built my own headers for my D-50 and only have about $400.00 in them. First set I have ever built. There is no wat I would pay $2000.00 for a set. They are not that hard to do.

Trouble is not everyone can build headers, fab cross members to clear the oil pan. Not to mention Dry sumps, odd ball bell housings. extravagant cooling systems etc. If you do break a p-5/p7 parts are costly. I personally run both SB and BB. Each has it's advantages. Cheap power per dollar with new parts and low maintenance is not a w-8 or Nascar style SB. It is also not a Hemi or Predator. A eddy headed 408 or a eddy headed 500 BB are both probably the best bang for the buck. Not only can't the average guy afford too much more, then there's the maintenance. That takes both skill and money. Fortunately I can do my own motors, and have machine shop support. How many of these 8 second cars run 15 or more times a year? How many weigh 3300+ lbs? I'm sure some do, but not on the average budget.
Doug