Why is it a guess? Look at enough tags and matching broadcast sheets and you can pick out the pattern of what is on the tag, and what is not. Sure you can't replicate an inspector mark, but not all had them.

I compare it to the folks that spend time placing chalk markings on the car, or painting overlaps and trying to replicate a factory paint over spray on a motor. They are a guess too, unless you have picture documentation of all the marks before you start the restoration. Even than, unless your a certified forgery expert you can't match it exactly, so why spend the time doing it?

So all restorations in one way are just replications of what the car may have been. Many people enjoy that aspect, and many folks pay good money for that level of detail.

To me replacing the tag is just putting on a component that is missing or damaged. With good research and broadcast sheet you can at least get how it should have been, even if someone made an error making the original.

So while we can all disagree about doing it I still have a laugh on how hard over some say it is fraudulent. Despite all the other issue that exist with restorations.