Boone walked into the station where Darren's Dakota was parked, grabbed a drink, and some snacks. He glanced down on a newspaper rack at the Winfield Daily Courier newspaper, the front page read "Drag Week comes through Winfield", with a picture of a 70 El Camino on it.
"Wow, It's pretty bad when the newspaper is running the story the next day, and we are just getting here!" Boone thought to himself.
He decided to make a run to a Napa and grab some oil for oil changes later. The clerk went in the back, and managed to round up 9 quarts of Valvoline 50wt.
"That's all you have"?
"Yeah."
"How 'bout 60wt?"
"I think there are 6 back there..,"
"Ok, I'll take them."
The clerk started picking up the 50wt to return it.
"No, I want all of it...both!"
Darren showed up about fifteen minutes after Boone returned to the station, and they headed out towards Ponca City.

I pulled into Rudy's Country Store and BBQ, basically directly across from the OU campus, to cool the thing off once again, and grab a couple gallons of fuel. When the Volumax 250 Dominator fuel pump starts changing pitch on occasion, it's a pretty good indication that you are nearing the last of your tank, and it's much cooler than looking for a stupid red light on the dash! My phone rang as I stepped back in the car to make my last six miles to Thunder Valley Raceway Park.
"Dad, your stupid brother didn't get this new cable far enough from the header, and it burned up by the time I got here to the checkpoint!" It was Rachael, and she was nearly in tears by the sound of it.
"The rest of the drive is highway, just put it in Drive, and get here! I'll buy a new cable at the Pep Boy's Speed Shop trailer, but you have to get here in time so we can install it before your run! Who is there with you?"
"It's just Pops and I, we sent Dale and James on because we were afraid all of us were going to miss the deadline, and not get a pass. We are going to wait here for Boone and Darren!"
"OK, just tell them NOT to try and fix it, just put it in drive and GET HERE!" I fired the Valiant, stuck my phone in the passenger seat, and fought my way back into traffic leaving a Drag Week competitor in a third gen Camaro on the parking lot who was apparently struggling with overheating just as much as I was.

Rachael hung up the phone, and told Pops what I said. They sat there, in the shade of the mural wall for about five minutes when another Drag Week competitor entered the gravel parking lot, pulled ahead of them, and hastily jumped out to take a pic at the checkpoint. It was none other than five time champ Larry Larson in his new S-10 truck. Dad noted to Rachael how haggard and beat up Larry looked when he slowly, methodically folded himself back into the truck. He fired it up, and made his way towards the end of the building as he started a gentle arc of a U-turn in the gravel to head out back onto the course. A harried soccer mom came screaming around the blind corner of the building in a large SUV, undoubtedly late for something, and using the parking lot as a shortcut as Pops and Rachael had witnessed twenty times already. Larry locked up all four tires and slid about a foot and a half as the SUV swerved just enough to avoid his carbon fiber front clip by mere inches! He sat there for what seemed like minutes before the S-10 continued to the exit, and idled off in search of Thunder Valley.

8312452-65C.jpg (189 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines