The sun coming through the window convinced me to climb out of the covers. New Mexico gets pretty cold at night, and even with two blankets and my clothes on, it had been a rough night. I bought a small set of metric sockets, and dropped the driveline down, only to discover it was tight, and had no issues that would've led to the vibration I was feeling. Somewhere in west Texas, I caught a family pulling a car behind a U-Haul Truck followed closely by a 3/4 ton pick-up with a loaded down car trailer. They were the only people I passed the entire trip, I gave a whoop and a fist pump as I enjoyed my brief time in the left lane!
I rolled up to Dale's house in Owasso Ok at about 2:30 AM Saturday morning, and decided to just jump back in the truck for another night's sleep. I knew from previous phone calls that they had made the Friday night TNT, and had probably only been in bed about an hour, so I didn't want to wake them.

Part 2: Thrash Week
I woke up around 8am, grabbed my clothes bag, and eased into the downstairs bathroom, everyone in Dale's house was still sacked out, but I was going on 42 hours without a shower, and that's all I could think of. The shower head was missing... the adapter and knuckle was there but nothing else? I didn't care, the solid stream was wet, hot, and got the job done. I walked outside feeling like a new man, just as Boone pulled up in his 80 something 300K mile Mazda 323. He helped me pull my rig around into Dale's back yard, where I began to set up camp for the week. We unloaded both the cars, and were about to disconnect the trailer from the truck, when we ran into a problem. The tongue jack broke, and Boone decided right then and there to tear it apart and figure out what was wrong.
"Let's just jack it up with the floor jack, and set it on blocks", I implored.
"Nope, we can fix it...give me a screwdriver", he shot back as he removed the end cover.
Twenty minutes later he had diagnosed it as a broken roll pin, after digging around in Dale's shop, he decided a trip to Lowe's was in order.
"Boone, we have Drag Week stuff to work on!" I complained but to no avail, he is not easily swayed once he decides to take on a certain task.
I decided to pick up a shower head while we were there, then I had Boone take us to the store so we could load up on refreshments like soda, water, PowerAde, tea, lemonade, and a ton of ice. When you plan on having an Army of gearheads descending on one location for a solid week, totally trashing a persons back yard, staying up all hours of the night, making messes, demanding to be fed...you should try to make things as easy as possible for the lady of the house who is going to be putting up with you. I figured to take the four coolers Rachael had stuck me with, set them in the bed of our Drag Week trailer, and load them up with cold drinks, so everyone wouldn't be marching through the house on a constant basis. I also figured fixing the shower her husband had neglected for six months might help as well!

8274582-003.JPG (345 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines