We walked outside, and turned our attention to the Gremlin. I helped him remove the front clip, and then he asked for some fuses.
He was trying to track down a charging problem he had been dealing with since last year's drag week. If by "dealing with it" we meant ignoring it and charging the batteries before every foray onto the street or track.
"Last year, I was having an intermittent ignition problem", he explained, "then the voltmeter or the alternator shorted out, and that problem went away. I just replaced the gauge, so let's try it".
He fired it up, and flipped the switch for the alternator circuit, the fuse died almost instantly, and let us know the problem wasn't solved yet. Next he swapped out the alternator, which resulted in a happy 13.2 volts on the new voltmeter.
"What's next, fuel system all good?"
"Yeah. Since I got rid of the deadhead regulator, ran the return line, and went to the Moroso log, it's been perfect!"
"And the 5 Gallon fuel cell?"
"Still in there...really don't have any room for much else, we'll just have to make it work!" He smiled, "Did you bring that 2 stage plate? I need to check that thing out!"
"Back to that again? Why be so greedy?" I teased.
I dug out an NOS Double Cross plate that I had picked up off Ebay a few months ago and handed it to him.
"That's what I was afraid of", he commented as he admired it, "It's basically as tall as stacked Big Shot plates, and I really don't have room under my hood for that and the air cleaner both". I bought some Ys so I can run two stages through the same Big Shot, and I'm going to try that. I also found a wiring diagram that allows me to shut off the first stage as you go to the larger second stage..."
"Oh, I really don't like that", I cut him off. "First, you're going to be limited to what one set of bars can flow, and second...that's a terrible idea to switch from one to the other. Just run the first stage and stack the second on top!"
"You think that's better?" He gave me a sidelong look.
"I just think if the first stage is working properly...why shut it off completely and hope the second hit works?
"Yeah...well, it'll be easier to wire up I guess."
"What's the plan on tires?
"I mounted up those 33X10.5 Goodyears, on the wheels I got from you...By the way, did you know one of those was bent? I had to have it straightened!" He exclaimed, hands gesturing.
"Well, they were on the Valiant when Jordan bounced it off the wall, so I'm not surprised!"
"Oh! OK...well anyway I tried them over the 31 tall ET Streets, and the car ran the same MPH at the same RPM!"
"Seems like you are gear limited on the bottle, but if your converter can't handle the extra load, I guess it's a moot point! We've done pretty well with ET Streets on the drive, you think you really want to do it on a pair of tall slicks?"
"I probably need some 4.30's..."
"Agreed, but it's not going to happen this week is it?"
"Nope", he laughed.

8281491-0513141407a.jpg (250 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines