Quote:

Ok... So I have been working on the motor all evening. The preload is actually about 40 and my rockers are hitting straight on the valve and no contact with the keepers. After checking everything I could think of I decided to run it a bit wight he valve covers off. I noticed no significant noise coming from the driver side. It seemed to be coning from the passenger side toward the back. I tried a banner handle on the rocker and noticed an ever so slight change on the second to the rear rocker. When I shut the motor off that particular rocker was all the way up wight he pushrod extended. The pushrod was so loose you could rattle it around. I disconnected the coil wire and bumped the motor around little by little to check the other pushrods. None of them came close to ever getting as loose as that one. all maintained at least a slight bit of tension even when fully up. I assume this means I have a collapsed lifter. This sucks because I just built this motor and I really don't want to pull the intake. I will probably go ahead and invest in some roller rockers. If i have to take everything apart I might as well.

You said earlier that you filled the lifters with oil before initial fire up. You really should not do that. Because if you tighten the rocker shaft down too quickly and do not allow the lifter to bleed off you can bend a pushrod. BTDT.

I would pull that pushrod and roll it on a piece of glass, you'll see the wobble if it is bent. BEst way to fill a lifter is to assembly the valve train with the lift unfilled, then when preoiling the system it will fill up all by itself. Sometimes, like once the engine has been running, you do not have that option, then you have to slowly bolt down the rocker assembly to prevent this from being a possibility.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.