Quote:

Perhaps I'm not describing it correctly, but with my Firm Feel stage 3 box occasionally, not every time, you will turn the steering wheel one inch and get nothing, then two inches, nothing, then as you turn the third inch you get 3 inches of input all at once. It ain't tires or a lack of stiffness in the car, it's the steering box. Since it doesn't do it every time, it can make the car a handful in quick transitions. I'm going Borgeson....

I somewhat recognize this behaviour, but are you really sure that comes from the steeringbox only?
I would think this has more to do with a wheel alignment or maybe a more likely worn idler arm bushing.
One car of mine sometimes shows this behaviour aswell, but I know the wheels aren't aligned properly, along with an old stock powersteering box.

Is the numbness only felt when turning the steeringwheel either to the left, or the right at that time?
If it's only happening at one direction, the linkage could just be busy taking up all the slack in the system first before the actual wheelmovement is happening.
You might be able to test this stationary by checking toe-settings while slightly turning the steeringwheel alternatly left and right, and compare both possible toe-setting differences.