The blue Dart Sport!

I don't remember who owned the Chevelle.

I probably have two dozen more photos, and one of the Springs Road Auto Sales banners they had on the wall.

During our stay there, they treated us to our first-ever visit to a "fish camp" which was somewhere out in the local "woods". As Jersey guys, we had no idea what they were talking about. Upon arrival, we then discovered that a fish camp was a family-style restaurant with everything from oysters to shrimp. All fried of course. I am still trying to pry open my arteries from that experience!

Also, one day we went out for lunch to a little place in Lenoir. I got out of the car and naturally locked the door. Clyde said "You don't have to do that here, and we don't even lock up the race shop". I asked why not, and he said that "In these parts, anyone that gets caught messing with someone else's stuff will be DE-NUTTED!" After lunch, we went back to the shop and I watched Don feed his three-legged dog. He said "He doesn't even know its gone". Just two regular guys who built great cars.

Quite an experience! Don and Clyde were fantastic hosts, and we were very fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend two weeks there!

Bill Rolik

4822881-0114070071.JPG (183 downloads)