Moparts

70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?)

Posted By: Anonymous

70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?) - 11/13/08 05:36 PM

This is one of the KOOLEST Carlton pics I have seen in awhile. With all the threads going around about the history of the old P/S cars.

I thought this pic could "shake" up a few old stories.

What is the car in the FAR LANE.??

HemiFred-----SixpackJeff---Reed---Stewart-------Explain or enlight us..!!!

Attached picture 4810602-2missiles.jpg
Posted By: kdalters

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 06:30 PM

R&D/Match race car would be my guess.

Kerry
Posted By: BJS racing

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 06:32 PM

Notice there is no number and some of the badging is missing on the car in the far lane. I would still like to know where to find the hood scoop that is on the car in the near lane!
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 06:41 PM

http://www.wsracingfiberglass.com/history.htm
See if you can follow this link. Walt has been making glass stuff for many years and I know for a fact he used to make that scoop. Hope he can get you one. See ya, Ken MIchalik

Attached picture 4810727-DUSTDRFR.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 06:59 PM

Quote:

R&D/Match race car would be my guess.

There were only a few select "Carlton" cars out there. The real question is which 2 these are.
Posted By: chris3

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 07:05 PM

Kevin:

Give me a few minutes to piece this together. You did say "OLD GUYS". This is at Rockingham Dragway at the NHRA Winston Invitational. Buster Couch at the starting line. One car has an area sponsor's name on the side. We attended all of these races in those days. You might be lucky and there be some more pictures of these cars.
Posted By: StewartP

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 07:23 PM

I think that is an IHRA Event and not sure that is Buster Couch --
Posted By: TMP66

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 07:26 PM

Quote:

I think that is an IHRA Event and not sure that is Buster Couch --

You can see the old 'world' IHRA logo to the left of the "R".
That ain't Buster.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 07:35 PM

Clyde in the car

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 07:52 PM

Dug up a pic of the "Yellow car" BEFORE it was Yellow

Coutresy of Stewart...-----------------

Attached picture 4810847-Before%20Yellow%202.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 07:56 PM

Same Car driven by Dandy Dick Landy

Man they sure made things CONFUSING back then

Attached picture 4810852-landydriven.jpg
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 09:26 PM

Could one car be his IHRA Pro Stock and the other his NHRA Comp car? (The Spehar-owned A-body was a Duster with Mopar Missile on the side.)

I never heard of him having any Dart Sports besides his Comp car and yellow test car. May have even been the same one. But I'd hate to think it's been photoshopped.

Can't wait to see what Stewart has to say.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 09:54 PM

Could the car in the back be his old Demon - reskinned?

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 10:10 PM

What if we approched this from another angle.

Who is MARTY JOHNSON.. The photographer

Anyone know who he is.?? He should be able to shed some light.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 10:16 PM

I don't know which car, for sure, the one in the back is - but I believe it is the remotored yellow car. Marty Johnson was the photographer, long gone now.
StewartP

Attached picture 4811094-2.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 10:18 PM

I know they remotored the yellow car for a Hemi - I used it as a backup at the Winternationals 1975, if the Colt had not been fast enough. Really flimsy piece.

StewartP

Attached picture 4811095-1.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 10:38 PM

Just got another ENLIGHTENING Email from Joe Pappas

Kevin,

The “yellow” car started life as a match race car built by Donnie and Clyde in the North Carolina shop for Stewart McDade to drive. They raced it during the 1973 season and even showed up at a few IHRA and NHRA events to race in Pro-Stock. At the end on the season, the car came up to our Michigan shop and Dick Oldfield and I rebuilt the car changing it considerably – we pretty much gutted it and started over. We needed a test car for our “A” engine program. When we were done with it we took it to our first test session at Bradenton FL. At that test session, Clyde showed up with another “Don Carlton” car – like the one in the picture. Donnie was letting Clyde make passes in the car to get used to it and I think the intention was to let Clyde drive it some of the time. For the 1974 season we were planning only to do testing on the “A” engine stuff so we (Dick and I) were kind of out of the competitive racing business – Clyde was taking up the slack in that arena. At the end of 1974, the yellow test car and everything else from the Michigan shop was sent down to North Carolina. Donnie had just finished building his new shop on the family property (his son still runs his business out of the same shop – only it is now 5X bigger). The last time I saw the yellow car as such was at Thanksgiving in 1974. I would not be surprised if Donnie and Clyde converted the car back to Hemi power, repainted it, and began to race it. You just don’t throw away a perfectly good race car…

Now to answer your initial question – I have no idea if that was the yellow car. It might have been or it could have been yet another car built by Clyde and Donnie. I know that he switched over to Colts by about 1975 or 1976. When I last saw Donnie at the Winternationals in 1977 he was running a Colt and had been doing so for a very long time by then.

Dick Oldfield may have a better feel for what happened with the yellow car and I will ask him. Right now I think he is back in California with Arnie. I tried to call him at home on Tuesday but there was no one home. I will let you know what I find out.

Joe Pappas 11/13/08

Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 11:32 PM

The Yellow car made it's way to New Jersey by the late 80's/early 90's. It was setup for a BB/Hemi. I have a pic of it at Maple Grove on my wall here next to the computer.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/13/08 11:45 PM

Quote:

The Yellow car made it's way to New Jersey by the late 80's/early 90's. It was setup for a BB/Hemi. I have a pic of it at Maple Grove on my wall here next to the computer.

Any idea of who the owner was then.?
Scan picture possibly.??
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: 70's GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic. (Joe Pappas Email) - 11/14/08 01:15 AM

some more pics

datarecorder

Re: 70's GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic. (Joe Pappas Email) - 11/14/08 02:13 AM

Thanks for the pics METALSTORM. You seem to be quite the Carlton buff also.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: 70's GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic. (Joe Pappas Email) - 11/14/08 02:20 AM

i am learning with every1 else.i have more pics but no time.back again tomorrow.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 06:41 AM

Yes Clyde is driving the one car, Marty Johnson is no longer with us. Match Race Madness has all of his film.

Re: 70's GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic. (Joe Pappas Email) - 11/14/08 08:59 AM

Actually this photo is of a D5 Hemi Colt, being built for P/S - given to Carlton and redone by him and Clyde for a conventional Hemi.

Attached picture 4812095-MOTOR-FRONTSUSPENSION.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 01:46 PM

Quote:

Yes Clyde is driving the one car, Marty Johnson is no longer with us. Match Race Madness has all of his film.

Well maybe its time to get ahold of Mr. Dick Towers
Posted By: sixpackjeff

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 01:55 PM

Okay, here's what I know. The car in front is definately a Dart. The car in the rear is definately a Duster. Aside from the "yellow" car, Carlton had a Pro Stock Dart (pictured) that also ran in B/A with virtually no changes. P/S lettering was for IHRA or match races while B/A was for NHRA. (If you recall, Larry Morgan ran his Pro Stocker earlier this year at an event in B/A, by simply changing the lettering and adding a little weight.) The Dart pictured was later painted candy blue and became a Nationwise Rod Shop car, still owned and driven by Carlton. The Duster is definately not the Wire Car. Aside from the wrong hood, I've attached a photo of the Dart in its final paint scheme with the Wire Car, which you can see is still not finished. Another photo shows the Yellow Car taken at the same time. My best guess is that the Duster in question is the actual Mopar Missle Duster, simply repainted. I think Chrysler, not Spehar, actually owned that car. Of course, Spehar did own the E-body Missles. Mopar scaled back their involvement in 1974, before essentially pulling out at the end of 1977. That would explain why the cars did not continue to say "Missle". The Duster in the photo should be the car that was totalled in Florida whose remnants reappeared years later as the "Mopar Missle" Duster in the Garlits museum.

Attached picture 4812259-WIRE%20NC%203.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 01:57 PM

Yellow car with Wire car

Attached picture 4812262-WIRE%20-%20NC.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 02:25 PM

Rodshop car

Attached picture 4812300-RodShoprace.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 02:30 PM

Attached picture 4812311-CARLTON_76RODSHOP.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 04:38 PM

Quote:

Okay, here's what I know. The car in front is definately a Dart. The car in the rear is definately a Duster. Aside from the "yellow" car, Carlton had a Pro Stock Dart (pictured) that also ran in B/A with virtually no changes. P/S lettering was for IHRA or match races while B/A was for NHRA. (If you recall, Larry Morgan ran his Pro Stocker earlier this year at an event in B/A, by simply changing the lettering and adding a little weight.) The Dart pictured was later painted candy blue and became a Nationwise Rod Shop car, still owned and driven by Carlton. The Duster is definately not the Wire Car. Aside from the wrong hood, I've attached a photo of the Dart in its final paint scheme with the Wire Car, which you can see is still not finished. Another photo shows the Yellow Car taken at the same time. My best guess is that the Duster in question is the actual Mopar Missle Duster, simply repainted. I think Chrysler, not Spehar, actually owned that car. Of course, Spehar did own the E-body Missles. Mopar scaled back their involvement in 1974, before essentially pulling out at the end of 1977. That would explain why the cars did not continue to say "Missle". The Duster in the photo should be the car that was totalled in Florida whose remnants reappeared years later as the "Mopar Missle" Duster in the Garlits museum.

Doesn't the car in the far lane have the pointy Dart Sport nose on it?

Dart Sports also have the trailing edge of the front wheelwell opening angle back while Duster went straight down. But I can't see that area well enough in the original pics.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't the car in the far lane have the pointy Dart Sport nose on it?

Dart Sports also have the trailing edge of the front wheelwell opening angle back while Duster went straight down. But I can't see that area well enough in the original pics.

The 73 later grille in the Duster had some of a point on it too and from the side it can look alot like a Dart front end.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 04:52 PM

[quote
The 73 later grille in the Duster had some of a point on it too and from the side it can look alot like a Dart front end.

I'm at work and can't blow the picture up for a better look. But it still looks like a Dart Sport nose in the far lane..

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 04:55 PM

Quote:

[quote

I'm at work and can't blow the picture up for a better look. But it still looks like a Dart Sport nose in the far lane..

With as much as I could blow it up before it got distorted to where you couldnt really tell any more it looks like you are right.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 07:46 PM

Quote:

[quote

I agree.

After looking at numerous photos, I think the cars in the first pic are the #3263 B/A car and the P/S car. The 3263 car was believed to have been turned into the yellow car, but there is a pic of the yellow car and the 3263 car together.

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/14/08 07:59 PM

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 08:12 PM

Quote:

don't forget that some cars were built with the grilles installed upside down

Why was that?
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 08:19 PM

Aerodynamics

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 08:28 PM

Quote:

don't forget that some cars were built with the grilles installed upside down

Missile with "upsidedown" grill

Attached picture 4812928-Henderson028.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 08:47 PM

Still trying to figure out the other Dart Sport.
But check out this article and some unique photos!

Mopar Muscle Magazine

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 09:23 PM

MOPAR MISSILE DUSTER

This is what I know, or think, happened.
When Chrylser closed the Missile Hemi program, they sold/gave Carlton most of the equipment, and cars. The Missile Duster, yellow car, wire car, D5 Colt etc. In late 1973, I bought the Missile Duster directly from Donnie, he and Clyde delivered it to my shop in Tampa. At that time it was solid black, and came ready to run. (Picture 1 wreck) At that time, for business and family reasons, Nelson DesChamps was figure head for my racing projects. Early spring 1974, the Duster was rolled in the sand at Bradenton, due to a faulty oil pump plate gasket. We ran the car most of 1974 and half a year of 75 - at all NHRA races and some IHRA races. During the winter of 74 we painted the car in the yellow and black motif - that is how it was when I sold it to Kenny Hahn, who sold it to Juno Joe, and after that I lost track of it. Later I learned that Donhoff had the car and it had been wrecked and restored terribly wrong.
Fast forward to 2004 when Joe Pappas emailed me for info about the car. Rumor was that it had been totally destroyed. I learned it was at Garlits Museum and arranged to go see and investigate what was real on the car. Surprisingly most of the car, from the firewall back was original. But it had been restored by someone, that had no clue as to some of the aspects of the car (altered wheelbase, etc.) - The car looked dead wrong.
Therefore the Missile car that was at Garlits, was the real deal. The car in the picture of this thread is NOT the Missile. Back to square one, which cars are they ?

Attached picture 4813018-1.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 09:25 PM

Attached picture 4813024-repaired.jpg

Attached picture 4813025-aftercrashLakeland.jpg

Attached picture 4813026-newpaint75.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 09:33 PM

I am starting to lean very strongly that given the year, and that it was at Rockingham. That the car in the "far" lane is what ultimately was / or became the blue Nationwise Rod Shop car.(#2041)

Attached picture 4813049-carlton042-1.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 10:03 PM

Rod Shop car in the background...

Attached picture 4813117-WIRErodsop.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/14/08 11:01 PM

Thanks Stewart. I finally enlarged the photo and I am wrong. I saw the tucked-in front bumper and it looked just like the Wire Car photo I have on my desk. I'm heading to the basement to look for my Rod Shop file.
Posted By: RV2

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 12:35 AM

Stewart you say the yellow car has been restored, to what appearance? Is it back to yellow with the black stripe?

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 01:28 AM

Quote:

I am starting to lean very strongly that given the year, and that it was at Rockingham. That the car in the "far" lane is what ultimately was / or became the blue Nationwise Rod Shop car.(#2041)

I could agree with that. The two look very similar.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 01:35 AM

The Duster Missle in Big's museum has a strut front end installed by Ben Donhoff in the early '80s as it was wrecked when he bought it. As Stewart P posted above, it's all changed from the firewall forward. Donhoff said it was easier to put a strut front it it than to put it back original. Besides, he just wanted to race it and at the time didn't care much if it was original.
Posted By: 8secDart

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 05:10 AM

Look at the door handles on the last duster.The only duster ive seen with them is Butch Leals 73,74 later Roy hills.Stewart were they like that when you had it?

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 05:13 AM

The Nelson D - Mopar Missile car - my car, did have the Challenger door handles, when we rolled the car over in the sand, that was one of the changes we made.

StewartP
Posted By: 8secDart

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 05:19 AM

Cool,just one of the things I picked up on.You are the man.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 07:11 AM

Just when I thought I was confused enough.
Another self named " Carlton" car appears from my older photos..

Attached picture 4814316-Springroaddoge.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 12:23 PM

That Demon is one of his first/early cars and the one I was wondering if it was reskinned to one of the Dart Sports.

Also, what may of may not be a clue, the far lane Dart Sport has the lettering centered above the front wheel opening, like the B/Altered car #3263 in this photo.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 01:16 PM

Quote:

Also, what may of may not be a clue, the far lane Dart Sport has the lettering centered above the front wheel opening, like the B/Altered car #3263 in this photo.

I noticed that same thing last night.
Did they use stencils for the small lettering back then.???
Maybe just 2 different stencils.

Also what is the "Blue Logo" on the qtr.panel in that photo.? Must have been before "Spring Road Auto Sales" joined up. Looks like it says MPC

Attached picture 4814435-CopyofBA%20-%20BG%20CAR%204.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 01:42 PM

Model Products Corporation.........they made the best mopar model kits. I live about 2 minutes from the old factory.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 02:09 PM

Just speculation because I don't know for sure. But I'm under the impression that "Spring Road Auto Sales" was an early sponsor/supporter because it was on his Dodge Demon. Then it was transfered to the Dart Sport(s) early on and phased out as his sponsor list and notoriety grew.

Anybody know how to get in touch with his son about any of this?

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 02:17 PM

MPC was a sponsor on the Missile. I think interest was waning, as the sponsor's names became less recognizable. Ultimately, I think that led to the Rod Shop stuff. Money has always been a major issue.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 02:24 PM

More fuel to the fire, from the hidden archives.
A

Attached picture 4814543-BA-BGCAR.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 02:24 PM

B

Attached picture 4814544-BA-BGCAR1.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 02:25 PM

C

Attached picture 4814546-BA-BGCAR2.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 02:26 PM

D

Attached picture 4814548-B-ACAR1.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 02:26 PM

E

Attached picture 4814551-McDADECAR2.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 02:29 PM

F

Attached picture 4814555-McDADECAR3.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 02:52 PM

Great pics, as always.........

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 05:50 PM

Quote:

Anybody know how to get in touch with his son about any of this?

His son still lives in the Lenior N.C. area.
If memory serves me right , he has a son that has Down Syndrome . or Austism. or the such.
I have an article I will look up soon, and post
Posted By: RaceCarRegistry

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 09:45 PM

Carleton's son doesn't have much info reference the cars and their history. Nice enuff to talk to but not much info.
Reed in Neb.
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/15/08 10:17 PM

His son raced round track cars for a while then joined up with a business partner and they are building round track cars chasis in outside of Lenior. He did show up for about 20 minutes 2 years ago to accept his fathers induction into the NC Drag Racing Hall of Fame during the Souther Drag Racing Expo in Greensboro.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/16/08 03:23 AM

Wow, pic D has a back half shot of Al Provost legendary wagon.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/16/08 01:56 PM

Quote:

His son raced round track cars for a while then joined up with a business partner and they are building round track cars chasis in outside of Lenior.

Very interesting reading about Donnie Jr.

Now 43 years old and the father of three, Donny has a trophy case in his office (built by his grandfather, Dewey Carlton) with a large collection of national championship trophies and awards bearing his dad’s name. Donny’s son, Don Allen Carlton, now ten years old, is a huge racing fan and plans to someday be the third generation to stand in a winner’s circle. Donny’s sister Robin also lives nearby with her three children.

“Dad was a one-of-a-kind,” Donny said. “He was so good at what he did but he always stayed very humble about it.

“He absolutely loved racing and he would have told you that he was lucky to have been able to make a comfortable living doing what he loved. I know that he would still be racing every weekend -- even if he had never made a dime at it.”

Donny Carlton raced stock cars for a few years, but has not been involved in drag racing since his father’s death. “They have a Don Carlton Memorial Race every year at the Wilkesboro track here in North Carolina,” Donny said. “I’d like to go to it sometime, but it’s just not the same going to the races without my dad.”

Quote Taken from --------------------------------->
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Dad2Three/170993/

Attached picture 4816616-DonRacingkids.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/16/08 02:14 PM

The Dart Sport in the above pic appears to be the same as the near lane car in the original photo based on the lettering above the front wheel opening being offset towards the front of the wheel centerline. It has "Pro 246" so that would appear to indicate that this photo was taken when he lived in NC (Division 2) while the original thread photo was taken when he raced out of Division 3/Michigan - "Pro 302".

I read an article about when he lived where and then moved. But I forgot the details. Perhaps the time line might eventually help with identifying both "twin" cars.

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/16/08 02:31 PM

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/16/08 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Still trying to figure out the other Dart Sport.
But check out this article and some unique photos!

Mopar Muscle Magazine

I was contacted by the writer Rick Laney who is a cousin of Donnie's. he had some info but not nearly enough to do the article. I sent him Joe Pappas' way and all the info came from Joe not much from the writer. he did tell me he had a large collection of Carlton memoribilla

Well then lets contact Rick again

Good project while the foot heals up.
Posted By: SSDA3426

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 03:25 AM

I have talked to a Couple of Dons Nephews Nieces.They Lived at AKRON,Ohio at one point and time...I will have to dig out some old conversations with them.They knew ALOT about the cars really...I was amazed..

Oh Yea....I'M BACK...

SS

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 02:34 PM

Quote:

I have talked to a Couple of Dons Nephews Nieces.They Lived at AKRON,Ohio at one point and time...I will have to dig out some old conversations with them.They knew ALOT about the cars really...I was amazed..

Oh Yea....I'M BACK...

SS

Its about time JD We will be waiting

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 04:37 PM

If anyone can find out what happened to the Demon, it may help a lot. I'm still wondering if it may have been converted into a Dart Sport.

It was a popular practice back then and is what they did with the Challenger, simply changing the grille and taillight sections from '70 to '71 as well as the '72 Duster to a '73. (If my info is correct.)
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 05:00 PM

its good to have you back. JD
i had no idea they lived near Akron?

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 05:01 PM

I believe the Demon was sold to a guy in Virginia or somewhere in the SE. - Reed in Neb.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 09:01 PM

OK guys, here's what I've figured out. I'll try not to assume anything this time. I dug up a copy of SS&DI magazine from March 1975 with a great article about Carlton. It noted that the majority of 1974 was spent testing with the Yellow Car and that Carlton was returning to active Competition in 1975. The first half of the year with his "old" 1974 car and the second half with a brand new state-of-the-art car. The car in the rear of the photo at the top of this thread? And I think ultimately the Rod Shop car. The article also mentioned the horrible condition of the Yellow Car, indicating that it was retired. During my brief stint as Associate Editor for Mopar Action magazine I wrote a definitive article on the history of the Rod Shop in the October 1990 issue. This was a result of multiple discussions with Gil Kirk, Jim Thompson and others. My notes from that story indicate that Carlton showed up at the Rod Shop at the start of the 1976 season with a Colt and a Dart Sport that was painted all gold. Take it away, Stewart.

Attached picture 4819621-SS&DI375b.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 09:27 PM

many cars and not much documentation, makes research difficult :-)

Attached picture 4819694-Carlton1.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 09:27 PM

and difficult

Attached picture 4819695-Carlton5.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 09:28 PM

and durn near impossible

Attached picture 4819700-Carlton6.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 09:40 PM

In speaking with Dick Towers (Matchracemadness.com) last week.

He explained to me that the Roger Donney colt in this picture is the Colt that Carlton/Rodshop eventually bought and ran under the Rodshop colors.

Attached picture 4819724-coltvcarlton.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 10:02 PM

Yep Kevin that was the Rodger Denny Colt - now another car in the mix
WireCar today

Attached picture 4819770-WireCarsmall.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 10:02 PM

and again

Attached picture 4819774-WireCar2small.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 10:06 PM

That floor looks AWFUL familiar..

Kinda Arnie Like

Attached picture 4819782-hood2.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 10:08 PM

OK...Good question.

Where is the MOPAR MISSILE today.??
Posted By: RV2

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 10:30 PM

I thought the wire car was restored?, it looks kinda rough in those pics.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 10:40 PM

Sure does. The paint was beautiful when I had it. Did it fall off a trailer? Just kiddding. Arnie told me he wanted to completely redo it, but time gets away from all of us.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 11:11 PM

Quote:

Sure does. The paint was beautiful when I had it. Did it fall off a trailer? Just kiddding. Arnie told me he wanted to completely redo it, but time gets away from all of us.

What year did Arnie get the "Wire Car" from you Jeff.?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 11:26 PM

I just want to thank all the PLAYERS in this thread , you guys have some amazing info .

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/17/08 11:28 PM

Quote:

OK...Good question.

Where is the MOPAR MISSILE today.??

Maybe my spelling was off. But I can't believe that no one has responded to " where is the MOPAR Missile".???

Funny Picture right here.
PHOTOSHOP is Amazing.

Attached picture 4819986-ArkenolDuster2.JPG
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 12:57 AM

I love the body lines of the '74 Colt!

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 03:35 AM

Mopar Missile has been "restored" and might be raced this coming weekend at Orlando Night Of Fire Freak Show - I am going over on Saturday to check it out, will take pics and share them with you all

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 03:11 PM

Quote:

Mopar Missile has been "restored" and might be raced this coming weekend at Orlando Night Of Fire Freak Show - I am going over on Saturday to check it out, will take pics and share them with you all

I knew I could count on Stewart to be up to speed.
I spoke with Ben D. on Friday of last week. He said he "removed" the MOPAR MISSILE out of Big Daddys museum about 4 months ago. He said it had been on "loan" to the museum for almost 18 yrs.
He does indeed have plans of running it this weekend in Orlando Should be quite a show. I guess from the firewall back is pretty much restored correctly, from firewall foward is still way off, but he doesnt seem to give a hoot.. . Really nice guy though

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 03:16 PM

The "restored" Wire Car in a Columbus, Ohio warehouse, winter 1995.

Attached picture 4821353-wire5.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 03:19 PM

'nother match race down south cooking here ??? Missile vs Missile

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 03:24 PM

Quote:

How many operable era pro stock cars are actually out there right now?

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 03:35 PM

Quote:

I dont see that one happening. The owner of the MOPAR Missile told me he just had the "work" done to the car to have it certified for 7.50's
He is running in a totally different class, and has from what i can tell done alot of "modern day updates"
Fred & I are looking for DATE CORRECT cars to Matchrace

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 03:41 PM

Quote:

Good question , I guess the key word is operable.
Many i think are "operable". I guess the real question is RACEABLE.

There is mine, and Freds, and I think Fred has a friend that has a Grumpy Jenkins Monza.
But as far as I know thats it that are Pro Stock CORRECT

Fred will chime in soon..

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Good question , I guess the key word is operable.
Many i think are "operable". I guess the real question is RACEABLE.

There is mine, and Freds, and I think Fred has a friend that has a Grumpy Jenkins Monza.
But as far as I know thats it that are Pro Stock CORRECT

Fred will chime in soon..

You know what I meant!

I think it would be cool to see a couple of cars that may look somewhat the part and run the same e.t.'s as you guys just to maybe make a three or so round race out of it. What would you guys think of something like that?
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 04:13 PM

I have a question. Who's black pro stock duster was that that went on it's roof in columbus in the mid 70's right off the starting line? It was what they use to call the spring nats. and it was during qualifing I believe. Thanks Jake

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 04:26 PM

Quote:

I think it would be cool to see a couple of cars that may look somewhat the part and run the same e.t.'s as you guys just to maybe make a three or so round race out of it. What would you guys think of something like that?

I think it would be GREAT. The real problem is not finding the cars, Marco has several, Todd Werner has LOTS...The BIG HUGE problem is finding anyone else that is CRAZY ENOUGH .. To actually launch and run them at full speed down the track. But maybe , just maybe there is someone else out there who has lost his mind like Fred and I have.

Attached picture 4821487-toddscars.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 04:40 PM

Kevin, you have a PM.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 04:57 PM

I don't think there are enough cars to ever support any type of competition. When you take the evolution of the cars and owners that are willing to race their cars into consideration it would be tough to put any type of Racing format into place. You would need at least 3 of each generation Pro Stock. You can't race the first generation cars which were basicly Super Stock cars with tunnel rams against tube chassis cars. I just don't ever see it happening. The NSS classes could evolve and include a NPS and start off with a 1st generation class possibly 3300 lbs. 440 ci limit no dry sumps, must run tunnel ram and manual transmission, period correct hood scoop,latter bar suspension and 10.5x30" tire. Headsup no index. That would make for an exciting fun class.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 04:58 PM

Ioconio's Monza is being raced here in the Phoenix area as a S/G or Super Pro bracket car.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 05:07 PM

While I think it's really cool the Sox and Matin Duster and Missle Duster are out racing, and putting on a show, the cars are far from period correct... Sox and Carlton never ran with powerglides...

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 05:12 PM

Quote:

While I think it's really cool the Sox and Matin Duster and Missle Duster are out racing, and putting on a show, the cars are far from period correct... Sox and Carlton never ran with powerglides...

I agree. So let say we are 90% correct..

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 05:13 PM

Quote:

Ronnie Sox's Omni match race car had a 'glide, Ask Reed.

Also, Considering the way alot of those cars were built and how they handled, A 'glide is like a gift from God today.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 05:26 PM

The original Motown Missile Challenger was run with a Clutchflite for a (very) short time! So a 727 would be "period correct". How many people are gonna get up under there to see if the 727 has a clutch or a converter?

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/18/08 05:33 PM

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 05:49 PM

Quote:

the P/G is there to soften hits on my 35 year old car. plus it's only only part of the picture. these are the real high dollar cars not tributes or clones. The engine, trans, driver's door ,fuel cell and calipers ( same Rotors )are the only items I have changed. The rest as it rolled out the door at S&M.
I think overall my car that still uses the same wheels, shocks,radiator and those that actually came on the car is very era correct.

Mike Fons was AMAZED (July 2007) at how much of the Missile was just as he had left it.
Fuel Cell, Front Wheels, and few other small items. But basically is still just like it set in 1974-1976.
Block is long gone, but still have same heads ect..

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 05:50 PM

There are a lot more cars out there than you guys realize. In the early 90's Dominic Durinzi and I started a Nostalgia Pro Stock Association with limited success. At that time the cars either looked correct or ran strong. Dominic's S&M Colt and the '75 Rod Shop Butler built Dart were the only Moaprs that could do both. Times have changed. Remember, there are plenty of Ford/GM P/S competitors out there too. The ground work has been laid. BTW how many of today's Nostalgia Max Wedge cars could could even come close to passing NHRA Stock Eliminator tech?

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 05:57 PM

My brother in the San Diego area has the P/S Duster supposedly originally owned by John Diana. We are still trying to verify that this information is correct. Anyone having information on this car, please let me know what you got.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 06:34 PM

"Ronnie Sox's Omni match race car had a 'glide, Ask Reed."

According to Chick Deninno who built & maitained the Omni, S&M was one of the first if not the First to test a PG in PS competition - Back then, internals were not what they are today so the trans did not have a long "life" and thus S&M went back to the Lenco. I restored the Omni to that time frame because it is "period correct" for the car and had a PG in it already. Tho' the Omni has a FC cage in it with some minor updates, it has a number of the original pieces still in the car including Mag Dana, dash, doors, wheels etc - Still has the Hardy Tag on the dash, too.
Personally, I have no problem with running a PG in "old" PS-style Circuit - hard enough to get cars out there, let the guys have "less" maintenance problems and breakage.
Pic is from when we tested the car with a 440 eng before restoration.
Thanks, Reed in Neb.

Attached picture 4821712-DSC03658.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 06:55 PM

Hey Everyone!!!

Wanna see KevCheLLe FREAK OUT?

Here's the Motown Missle, running as the T-Town Missle out of Toledo, Ohio,sitting in the staging lanes at National Trail Raceway, June 11, 1977.

Attached picture 4821752-ttown2.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 07:01 PM

Quote:

Hey Everyone!!!

Here's the Motown Missle, running as the T-Town Missle out of Toledo, Ohio,sitting in the staging lanes at National Trail Raceway, June 11, 1977.

I be liking that one

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 08:54 PM

Quote:

My brother in the San Diego area has the P/S Duster supposedly originally owned by John Diana. We are still trying to verify that this information is correct. Anyone having information on this car, please let me know what you got.

Is it a Pro Stock or a Super Modified/Modified Production./Altered car? I vaguely recall him having a B/SM Duster, possibly with a w-2 small block, when the class was formed.

Hemifred has some pics.
John Dianna Dusters

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 09:34 PM

It is a small block 340 with a tunnel ram. The previous owner ran it in brackets. The tail lites have been changed from '70 to '72 like they did to upgrade from year to year. Doug Nash 4 speed with Dana.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 10:22 PM

Was'nt that car done for a econo class that Car Craft or some magizine was proposing? It was a good idea I just don't think it took off.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 11:09 PM

Quote:

Hey Everyone!!!

Hey wanna see MACOMB-MISSILE freak out.

Attached picture 4822239-67.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/18/08 11:10 PM

2nd

Attached picture 4822240-68.jpg
Posted By: mike s

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 01:00 AM

Hmmm got any more Kevin?

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 01:25 AM

and the acid tank trick

Attached picture 4822549-Acidtank1.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 01:27 AM

Quote:

Hmmm got any more Kevin?

Maybe 1 or 2 around here somewhere.

MIKE FONS.>>>>>>>>>

Attached picture 4822553-Fonsacidtank.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 01:28 AM

THATS WAY TO FUNNNNY Both posted the same pic,,at the same time.

Great minds think alike....Stewart had sent me that pic about a yr ago.

He gets the credit for most of my pics
Posted By: bremotorsports

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 02:59 AM

Just curious where you acquired these photos that I took PERSONALLY in late 1976 and early 1977 while working at Carlton's shop on the Lukas car? As I recall, prior to them being on my new website that just went live TWO WEEKS ago, only Hemi Fred would have had them previously.

Here is the local "outlaw" track (Hudson Dragway). Clyde told me that this was a favorite place for "Run What Ya Brung" match racing, using plenty of rosin! Nicholson, Sox, Durham etc. etc. all raced here. I believe admission was either 1.00 or 2.00. Nice dirt entrance.

Bill Rolik

P.S. Yes, two of the photos were from my new website. Thanks for the credits! I suppose you were at Carlton's too, getting there JUST AFTER Hayes and I left.

Attached picture 4822811-0114070063.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 03:01 AM

Here I am sitting on a cinder block on the line at Hudson Dragway. Bill Hayes took the photo. Check out the "Tree" hanging from horizontal cables above me. If you get out of shape here, you really have a problem. Also notice that the shutdown area goes uphill. If that did not stop you, then the trees at the top would. If you somehow went through the trees, you went over the cliff.

You can't make this up.

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4822820-0114070064.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 03:04 AM

That is oval track fabrication guru and welder extraordinaire Bill Hayes of Paterson, NJ. He and I were sent by Lukas to work on the Aspen while Don and Clyde were "stretching" the Gold Colt.

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4822827-0114070070.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 03:07 AM

Look at all them Hemi's!

In the background, that is the rolling chassis of the Gold Colt during the stretching process, sitting outside on jack stands. I don't remember what was going on with the early model Colt.

The small entrance door would direct you toward the engine assembly room. That is the only area that was off limits to Hayes and I.

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4822831-0114070065.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 03:09 AM

Here is the Gold Colt prior to stretching!

Late 76.

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4822837-0114070066.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 03:12 AM

This shot is of the Gold Colt after the stretch.

Early 77.

The wheelbase of the car was lengthened, and also was to be modified to have the hood and WINDSHIELD come off as one unit (at least that is what they told us on that day!). Remember, the Winternationals was only a few weeks away. This was the last time we saw this car in person.

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4822846-0114070067.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 03:17 AM

Here is the reverse view of the black Duster, while I stood next to the trailer in the other example of my photo that was "borrowed".

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4822860-0114070068.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 03:22 AM

The blue Dart Sport!

I don't remember who owned the Chevelle.

I probably have two dozen more photos, and one of the Springs Road Auto Sales banners they had on the wall.

During our stay there, they treated us to our first-ever visit to a "fish camp" which was somewhere out in the local "woods". As Jersey guys, we had no idea what they were talking about. Upon arrival, we then discovered that a fish camp was a family-style restaurant with everything from oysters to shrimp. All fried of course. I am still trying to pry open my arteries from that experience!

Also, one day we went out for lunch to a little place in Lenoir. I got out of the car and naturally locked the door. Clyde said "You don't have to do that here, and we don't even lock up the race shop". I asked why not, and he said that "In these parts, anyone that gets caught messing with someone else's stuff will be DE-NUTTED!" After lunch, we went back to the shop and I watched Don feed his three-legged dog. He said "He doesn't even know its gone". Just two regular guys who built great cars.

Quite an experience! Don and Clyde were fantastic hosts, and we were very fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend two weeks there!

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4822881-0114070071.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 03:54 AM

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 04:03 AM

Quote:

my photo that was "borrowed"

OK I guess I am caught red handed . Borrowed is such a great word compared to "STOLEN".

I saw your post on Moparts General today.(Great Site) I just knew that Mike Ricketts would love those 2 pics. .
Plus I am a sucker for any "MISSILE" photos.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 04:15 AM

Your collection is quite interesting. Unfortunately, mine are the only ones I have, other than a shot at Englishtown in one of the other Dart Sports.

Don and Clyde had invited us to come back down, with Lukas, when the Aspen was finished, but as we know, only a few months later, the tragedy of the test session unfolded.

Bill Rolik

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 04:26 AM

Bill: about your photos --- then you must remember Jim Ward ? - That is who I got the photos from, his scrap book. Sorry, I did not know they were your photos,

StewartP

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 04:31 AM

Then these photos should be credited to you also ?

StewartP

Attached picture 4823069-Carlton1.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 04:32 AM

more of Bill's photos

Attached picture 4823075-Carlton3.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 04:33 AM

and more - but notice the Black cars in the photos also

Attached picture 4823079-Carlton4.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 04:34 AM

credit Bill and Jim

Attached picture 4823081-Carlton6.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 04:35 AM

Really Bill, I did not steal these photos - and I do apologeize for not giving you credit -- HemiFred, got them from me, and I got them from Jim Ward.

StewartP

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 05:03 AM

My memory is pretty good, but the name Jim Ward escapes me at this particular time. Perhaps this is someone that I had contact with in the late 70's, but not since.

I am ALL FOR significant historical records to be shared within the Mopar community, but having said that, any such items must be properly credited. I just went through this (obtaining permission prior to usage) on the "Concert Info" page on my website. Take a look at that and you will see what I mean.

The last group of photos you posted are not mine.

Bill Rolik

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 05:47 AM

Quote:

The blue Dart Sport!

I probably have two dozen more photos, and one of the Springs Road Auto Sales banners they had on the wall.

Bill Rolik

Could you post the pic of the Springs Road banner

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 09:11 AM

Bill: apparently there is some mix up with the photos, and it might be my fault. I have had the same photos for many years, and as I recollect they came from the scrap book of Jim Ward. If they were taken by you, then I apologeize. Attached is a photo of Jim, and another photo of the Gold Colt.

StewartP

Attached picture 4823302-JimWard.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 09:12 AM

Gold Colt

Attached picture 4823303-Carlton5.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 01:10 PM

Stewart,

These last three photos are not mine either.

Bill Rolik

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 02:37 PM

Bill, I believe this is the Gold Colt, "loaned" to Zorian. Are these your photos ?

StewartP

Attached picture 4823515-Kenny002a.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 02:38 PM

another Gold

Attached picture 4823518-Kenny003.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 02:40 PM

one more -- I will check with Jim Ward, and go back over his scrap book and when he worked for Carlton. I seem to have created confusion, and I did not mean that to happen.

Sincerely thanks for sharing YOUR photos.

StewartP

Attached picture 4823521-ProStockColt.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 02:50 PM

Stewart,

I believe the photo he was reffering to is the "ASPEN" photos that I "borrowed".

I borrowed them from his web site to post here for Macomb-Missile.

But with that said. As long as any of the pictures are posted here on Moparts, then they are shared between MOPAR FRIENDS. IMO

I would never borrow a pic, and claim it is MINE, or post it on my own website, unless credit/premission was given by the true owner.

But it was I that "BORROWED"
>>> ME

But the main thing here is that this has turned out to be a GREAT THREAD . THANKS to everyone who has posted or shared stories and or photos.

Attached picture 4823544-40thHEMI008.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 02:56 PM

None of those are mine. But they certainly seem to be "pre-stretch", if that IS in fact the same car.

If Jim Ward WORKED for Carlton, then it is possible I made an extra set of prints for him at that time. But that is only speculation on my part. I just do not recall the name at all.

Bill Rolik

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 03:22 PM

I'm glad someone finally got me a couple more pics of my car. Thanks to whom ever they belonged, and those who posted. I can't begin to tell you what a pain in my a$$ it's been to get any info on my car. I knew where it was built, when, but can't get any pics or info of when it was first finished. There-fore, I did it as a tribute car with my name on it. I think it came out fine.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 04:37 PM

Quote:

I'm glad someone finally got me a couple more pics of my car. Thanks to whom ever they belonged, and those who posted. I can't begin to tell you what a pain in my a$$ it's been to get any info on my car. I knew where it was built, when, but can't get any pics or info of when it was first finished. There-fore, I did it as a tribute car with my name on it. I think it came out fine.

I am sure there are people out there that have some, hopefully they will start to surface.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/19/08 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am sure there are people out there that have some, hopefully they will start to surface.

I think there is something that should be learned from this. We need to pass on the info and pics that we have to the next generation so its not lost with us like a lot was before.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 01:44 PM

Mike,

Just so I am clear on this, is your car actually the Lukas car? When Eddie left Jersey, he brought the car with him to FL, and someone down there became the second owner.

If so, because of my being part of the process, I can relay the entire story of how the Aspen came to be, from the beginning.

Bill Rolik

P.S. Attached is a photo I took of his SS/AA car in Bill Hayes' shop in Paterson in 1976. This is when Tim Richards was still "The Man" for Super Stock Hemi's!

Attached picture 4826061-0114070045.JPG

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 02:11 PM

Yup, it's the Lukas car. Kevin Lisk had the car in Iowa. I tried to buy the whole package from Lukas about 10-12 years ago, but somehow the deal went south. Thanks Bill.

Mike.

m.ricketts@comcast.net or 586-557-7006[c] or 586-749-8929[h] eastern

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 02:16 PM

Quote:

If so, because of my being part of the process, I can relay the entire story of how the Aspen came to be, from the beginning.

I love it when a plan comes together . . I knew someone out there would have more stories.
Posted By: DCI

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 02:16 PM

Quote:

Here I am sitting on a cinder block on the line at Hudson Dragway. Bill Hayes took the photo. Check out the "Tree" hanging from horizontal cables above me. If you get out of shape here, you really have a problem. Also notice that the shutdown area goes uphill. If that did not stop you, then the trees at the top would. If you somehow went through the trees, you went over the cliff.

You can't make this up.

Bill Rolik

Forget all of that - the ride back down the hill on the return road, through the trees, with all the curves, at night was something to scare you half to death!

And your right you were not making any of it up!

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 08:55 PM

a

Attached picture 4826973-a.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 08:56 PM

again

Attached picture 4826974-b.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 08:57 PM

another

Attached picture 4826977-c.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 08:57 PM

huh

Attached picture 4826979-d.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 08:58 PM

last

Attached picture 4826980-e.jpg

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 09:17 PM

Was this track in Hudson N.C or is this the track now known as Shadyside Dragway ?????
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 09:52 PM

Quote:

huh

I guess the return road was a little too scary!!!

Attached picture 4827075-4826979-d.jpg
Posted By: chris3

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 09:53 PM

Okay, where is Bret Kepner? This is a North Carolina Drag Strip I have not heard mentions in "alota Years." This little track was up off of, I believe Highway 321 near Lenoir, North Carolina, near Hickory.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 10:09 PM

It was located off of "Drag Strip Road" in Hudson, NC.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 10:40 PM

I just want to thank everyone for sharing there photos and stories.

After seeing those Hickory track photo's I have new appreciation for the "match race days" and the nerves of steel those guys had to run those tracks.

Amazing.

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/20/08 11:20 PM

Quote:

I just want to thank everyone for sharing there photos and stories.

After seeing those Hickory track photo's I have new appreciation for the "match race days" and the nerves of steel those guys had to run those tracks.

Amazing.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/21/08 03:09 AM

Our on site Carlton / Missile man has struck again.

I present yet another article by Stewart Pomeroy

http://www.allpar.com/racing/missile/hood-scoops.html

Who Da' man.???-------Stewarts Da' MAN

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/21/08 06:45 AM

that is sweet!!!!
Posted By: DCI

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/21/08 01:12 PM

That is a much safer way to come back! LOL

Check out the dirt road beside the tower and going up the mountain!
Posted By: Mike Miller

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 11/21/08 02:11 PM

I found the track on Google maps.....

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/21/08 03:08 PM

Quote:

that is sweet!!!!

YEPPERS. Stewart is a world of information.

Stewart, Reed, & Joe Pappas are the "go to" guys on the whole Missile programs for sure

Attached picture 4828687-CopyofStewartSigns.jpg
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/23/08 11:59 PM

Well thats one way to save a thread..??? was it that bad ??

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/24/08 12:02 AM

Lets go back to the main topic..

Here is a pic that Stewart took this weekend of the (real)--MOPAR Missile that was recently taken back out of Big Daddy's museum by it owner of 18 yrs. Ben Donhoff. Looks pretty good.

But in a conversation with Ben, he explained he was running nitrous. Thus the 7.80's times

Thoughts.?
But none the less..Glad to see it back on the track

to Ben D.

Attached picture 4834232-Ben1copy.jpg

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/24/08 12:08 AM

Quote:

Well thats one way to save a thread..???

I am just really glad the whole thread wasn't shot down in flames.. This has been a great & educational thread.!!

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/24/08 12:16 AM

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/24/08 08:44 PM

???

Attached picture 4836138-emenem.jpg

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/24/08 08:49 PM

Jeff, what is your question about the wire car -- was that car completely restored, motor and all or just ?

Stewart

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/24/08 08:50 PM

Quote:

???

Don't ask. Unless you have a long time, and a supply of Advil.

Where was that pic taken.??

Which pics is "correct" Orange letters or Ben's red letters...........Orange right.?
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/24/08 08:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well thats one way to save a thread..??? was it that bad ??

is there someone here that has that thin of a skin to warrant the edit.

Well this is a race site for racers

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/24/08 10:01 PM

I really want to make a comment about that deal with Chuck, but I do not want a "vacation" and there really might be a legit reason - and it is their sandbox

Stewart

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/24/08 10:04 PM

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/24/08 10:07 PM

but I am disappointed that arrangements could not be made to allow one of the original "Missile Krewe" members the chance to see that fantastic collection of cars.

StewartP

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/24/08 10:41 PM

Quote:

but I am disappointed that arrangements could not be made to allow one of the original "Missile Krewe" members the chance to see that fantastic collection of cars.

StewartP

But none the less things happen beyound our control sometimes There will be other times, I guess.

On a side note I am sure that Dick O, Joe Pappas, and Arnie Klann & son Richard will have plenty of things to do to fill there time in Tampa. I for one will be thrilled to be "hanging" out with the 70 & 2009 Missile crews.

Another one of Stewarts pics....I sent to Joe and he said at least we had hair..

Attached picture 4836384-mm8.jpg

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 01:45 PM

Stewart: The engine was not restored. It was basically a stock small block with a tunnel ram. It looked fairly correct but would only run low 11's. The rest of the car was completely clean and original. New paint, tires, brakes, etc. Remarkably well preserved. BTW in regards to earlier posts, any photo that I attach was either taken by me or for me and should be credited as such, including the T-town shot. Use them as you see fit.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 02:31 PM

Quote:

BTW in regards to earlier posts, any photo that I attach was either taken by me or for me and should be credited as such, including the T-town shot. Use them as you see fit.

Classy move Jeff.

IMO pictures from back in the day should be able to be "shared" 100%. As long as someone isn't claiming that they themselves took them, or are trying to sell them.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:30 PM

OK, Carlton and "Missile Maniacs", here is "A Brief History Of Time" pertaining to the events leading up to, and after, the Lukas Aspen build, with some extra tidbits thrown in. Enjoy the photos!

1970:

Joe Craig opens up CA Speedcenter in Fairfield, NJ, which quickly gains a reputation as THE Mopar-oriented destination for area gearheads. First customer: "Yours truly", with my 340-powered 65 Valiant.

1971-1974:

During this period, a strong customer base is built, and along with myself, many others begin careers in Super Stock and Stock competition. Joe builds a destroked 340 (305) small block for his 67 Cuda notchback for C/SM. Construction begins on my 71 340 SS/IA Duster.

1975:
Previously unknown local retail merchandising executive Ed Lukas wanders in to the store and is thrilled to announce that he is to campaign a SS/AA Hemi Dart with power supplied by childhood friend and Super Stock Hemi guru Tim Richards. Additional Scranton friend Joe Amato praises the project.

Wanting to put the Dart on a "diet", he asks me to locate an original complete FLOOR for the Dart. I find one on the Chrysler locator, and after a trip to the acid dipper, it is installed, along with a new roll cage by Bill Hayes. A fresh Bob Sodano paint job, with "The Over The Hill Gang" lettering, is now applied. A great running car, until Ed gets another idea!

1976:

Ed says that he is now thinking of running Pro Stock, again with Tim Richards power. But what about the car?

During this year, (I don't remember the exact series of events that led to this) Joe begins to purchase Direct Connection parts through SVI (Specialized Vehicles, Inc.) of Troy, MI. The principal owner is Mike Koran, and Ted Spehar has direct involvement. SVI, specializing in contract prototype and development work, is still in operation to this day.

Back to Lucas: He says that he would LOVE to build a Pro car from a Body-In-White. But how to get one? Through a series of conversations with Mike at SVI, Mike tells Joe, and then Ed, he can have his wish, a new-for-76 Aspen, and the requisition is processed.

But what about building the car? Lukas, Hayes (an oval-track specialist), and others, give it some thought, but Hayes suggests to Ed to have someone more drag-oriented do the build, and Ed agrees. A subsequent conversation with Joe, Hayes and myself, with Mike at SVI, brings an unexpected response: "I know someone who CAN do it, if he would agree to take it on, because he normally does not do customer work. I will make a call."

The builders were to be none other than Don Carlton and Clyde Hodges!

With the Body-In-White now ready, Joe, Ed, myself and Mopar bracket racer John Moser drive to Michigan in Ed's transporter (73 Dodge D600) to pick up the Aspen at SVI. While there, we meet Mike Koran and Ted Spehar, and get the grand tour, plus a ride in a special 76 "Feather Duster" Slant 6 fuel mileage development car. Along with the aluminum body panels, this car had specially modified main and rod bearings (1/2 their normal width,) low tension valve springs, and I believe a turbocharger was on it as well. The car was full of wiring and "data recorders", but the ONLY instrument inside the car was a vacuum gauge. They would run mileage tests in stocking feet, and drive only East to West, because they felt that the effects of gravity going North to South (driving up and down the globe, as opposed to across the globe during East to West) gave more accurate readings! You can't make this up. These dudes were SERIOUS!

The Aspen returns to Jersey, and Carlton then calls to say he is short of steel tubing for the build. We procure the tubing, load the Aspen and all of the other things Carlton wanted onto Joe's trailer, and head for Lenoir. We (Ed, Joe, Moser and myself) get the nickel tour from Don and Clyde, go over the build process and head back to Jersey. It is now late Fall 1976.

Carlton calls to say that much progress has been made, but they need to re-do their Gold B/A Colt for the upcoming 77 Winternationals, and will be delayed on the Aspen build. Lukas really wants to get the car finished ASAP, so with approval from Don and Clyde, he sends both Hayes and myself to Lenoir to work on the car to speed up the process. This time period is captured in my photos.

1977 and beyond:

After Hayes and I spend our time there, and Carlton and Hodges return from Pomona, they finish up the car, and then Hayes, Moser, Joe and myself drive to Lenoir to pick up the car.

Some other farmed-out work is done and then the car goes to Ed's house. Because of business and family commitments, and Tim Richards' move to the fuel categories, the Hemi does not get done. Weight break changes in Pro Stock made a small block favorable, and Ed has one built. After more delays of all varieties, it finally runs.

The car is brought to Englishtown for shakedown runs, or should I say "run". On the first pass, something in the motor breaks. And then the brakes fail and the car ends up in the sand trap, and fortunately does not make it THROUGH the fence and onto Pension Rd.

That is the only known pass the car made before it was parked, and then brought to FL when Ed sold his tool business here in NJ.

The rest is history.

First photo is at Indy in 1976. I took this not knowing that barely three months later I would be working in Don's shop.

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4837946-112508.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:32 PM

From left to right:

Ed Lukas, Joe Craig, Myself (back to camera), Don Carlton.

That is the Gold B/A Colt.

BR

Attached picture 4837951-1125080001.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:34 PM

Here is the same B/A colt during the "stretch" process. You can see the C-clamps holding the front frame extensions!

BR

Attached picture 4837956-1125080002.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:36 PM

There is "Yours Truly" thrashing on one of the pieces for the Lukas Aspen, the chassis of which is directly behind me.

BR

Attached picture 4837961-1125080003.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:37 PM

Master welder Billy Hayes doing some fit-up work on the Aspen.

BR

Attached picture 4837967-1125080004.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:39 PM

The trademark Carlton 4-link and magnesium Dana rear axle assembly.

BR

Attached picture 4837971-1125080005.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:41 PM

Here is the Aspen with the body mounted, and a big bad Hemi installed for fit-up!

BR

Attached picture 4837973-1125080006.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:44 PM

Billy Hayes next to the retaining wall at Hudson Dragway. Nice "Tree" swinging in the wind. Too bad the concession stand was closed: I wanted some HUSH PUPPIES!

BR

Attached picture 4837984-1125080007.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:47 PM

One day, Don said "You guys have no wheels, so take my Fury for the week". Hayes rides shotgun, while I shoot the peaceful North Carolina countryside.

BR

Attached picture 4837993-1125080008.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:50 PM

The Dart Sport on the trailer, and the Carlton transporter, getting ready to head to Pomona with the Colt.

BR

Attached picture 4837998-1125080009.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:51 PM

The Dart Sport interior. Lenco trans, anyone?

BR

Attached picture 4838003-1125080010.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:53 PM

The Dart Sport again. Notice the "Data Recorder" just above the driveshaft tunnel and floor section.

BR

Attached picture 4838008-1125080011.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:54 PM

Vintage brochure cover for SVI in Troy, MI.

BR

Attached picture 4838012-1125080012.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:56 PM

SVI brochure Page 1

BR

Attached picture 4838016-1125080013.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 03:57 PM

SVI brochure Page 2

BR

Attached picture 4838022-1125080014.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 04:01 PM

Great thread about race cars of the past,with the facts and stories for the guys that actually built and raced them.It don't get any better than this.I can't deal with the experts that weren't born yet or were peeing in their diapers posing as the authority of the history of the sport.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 04:03 PM

Final item:

This little known custom-built 76 Aspen, with some involvement from SVI, was photographed by myself at Indy in 76 during a short "parade".

I don't know if Spehar was involved in THIS one.

Check the padded roof, fat whitewalls and sidepipes.

All you need now is a Panama hat and Superfly headlights!

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4838037-1125080015.JPG

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/25/08 04:16 PM

Posted By: 69_6bbl_Runner

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) *DELETED* - 11/25/08 04:52 PM

Post deleted by Eric

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) *DELETED* - 11/25/08 06:33 PM

Post deleted by Eric

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 07:05 PM

Quote:

great stuff Bill

Just the koolest thing since crushed ice,

But seriously this has been a great thread. Thanks to all the 70's guys.

As most of you know I am relatively new to the P/S racing scene, but trying to learning quickly.
These type of threads are GREAT.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 07:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

great stuff Bill

Just the koolest thing since crushed ice,.. or Animal Planet in HD.

But seriously this has been a great thread. Thanks to all the 70's guys.

As most of you know I am relatively new to the P/S racing scene, but trying to learning quickly.
These type of threads are GREAT.

Your as quick as a goat on a bucket of oats.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 07:56 PM

Bill Rolik.......... Thanks so much.
Posted By: 69_6bbl_Runner

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) *DELETED* - 11/25/08 08:04 PM

Post deleted by Eric

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/25/08 08:10 PM

Quote:

Final item:

This little known custom-built 76 Aspen, with some involvement from SVI, was photographed by myself at Indy in 76 during a short "parade".

I don't know if Spehar was involved in THIS one.

Check the padded roof, fat whitewalls and sidepipes.

All you need now is a Panama hat and Superfly headlights!

Bill Rolik

For the Detroit folks...there was one of those F-bodies for sale in a dumpy used car-lot on Groesbeck and 13. It sat for quite some time. I could never get ahold of anyone at the dealer. It was Brown with a tan roof.

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/26/08 12:12 AM

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/26/08 12:19 AM

Quote:

Great thread guys ...next guy that tries to wreck it gets three days off

is for Sat-Sun @ the track.

But what the heck do I know...I'm a newbie
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/26/08 12:43 AM

Throughout this thread we see and realize a handful of cars were built. Aside from some cash, what did Detroit provide the team in the form of those cars...i.e. were they rolling chassis, just the shells, or complete cars, complete engines, or just the blocks and heads, etc. etc... How did that piece of this puzzle work? Did someone pick up the phone and say "Hey! ship us three more blocks will ya?" Did they work through any local dealerships or go direct to the engineers?

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/26/08 01:07 AM

Quote:

Throughout this thread we see and realize a handful of cars were built. Aside from some cash, what did Detroit provide the team in the form of those cars...i.e. were they rolling chassis, just the shells, or complete cars, complete engines, or just the blocks and heads, etc. etc... How did that piece of this puzzle work? Did someone pick up the phone and say "Hey! ship us three more blocks will ya?" Did they work through any local dealerships or go direct to the engineers?

What were the steps that these guys followed?

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/26/08 01:42 AM

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/26/08 02:50 AM

Fred,
little off topic, but back in the 70's when my dad worked as Service Manager for Springfield Dodge (now gone) in Springfield PA, they helped an employee with what I suspect was at a minimum a Top Alcohol dragster. Driver by the name of Mike Demarcello? Curious if you or other board members might of known him as he'd obviously run it at Atco and E-town back in the same days we are speaking of. We'd go there at times when the dragster was there in tear down. I was knee high to a grasshopper at the time, but it's always stuck with me..

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) *DELETED* - 11/26/08 05:23 AM

Thank you Eric !!!

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 11/26/08 01:52 PM

Quote:

these answers should be some good ones

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/04/08 09:57 PM

Well now I have another piece to the puzzle thanks to Bill R --- one of these pictures is the 2041 B/A car of Carlton - the other is the Yellow Car - my feeble memory tells me from days of old that the yellow car was remotored into a Hemi car - now I think by looking at the yellow circled pedals, I believe the B/A car was the Yellow car

StewartP

Attached picture 4857535-2041Carlton.jpg

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/04/08 10:01 PM

Yellow car pedals

Attached picture 4857543-yellowcar.jpg

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/04/08 10:39 PM

so if I understand correctly..2041 is also the YELLOW car..

Attached picture 4857614-carlton042-1.jpg

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/04/08 10:45 PM

that has become my belief now Kevin - I have suspected that for a long time, but the pedal deal adds credence to that belief.

StewartP

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/04/08 11:45 PM

another 2041 shot.

Attached picture 4857770-coltvcarlton.jpg

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 12:18 AM

I think the Yellow car was it's own car, Specially built for it's purpose. It has 4 pins across the front, The Rod Shop car has 3. The RS car has round tube pedals, the Yellow car has square sheet pedals. The Yellow car has neat pedal travel holes, the RS car has hacked holes. The interior tin work is different between the two and the Yellow car had the data recording equipment in the trunk.

I think the Blue/Black 3263 B/A car is the RS car. Alot more similarities between the two.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 12:24 AM

Here's the interior pic of the 3263 car (Note the paint on the A-pillar). Look at this pic and then look at the interior of the RS car below it. Note the door panels and door latch also.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 01:16 AM

Actual I agree. Lots of differences in those 2 interiors.. Thought we were on to something..--> Fabric on seats (black vs brown).

Look at the diameter of the steering "rod" from the steering wheel to the firewall. One is 1" or so diameter the other in very small like a twig.

Also the floor @ drivers feet is 2 different colors and different patterns.(bends)

Where the heck is Pappas when we need him. I will shoot him an email of these past 3-4 posts.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 01:50 AM

The icing on the cake. Look at the hood on the 3263 car.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 01:54 AM

Earlier in this thread, I made some unnecessary comments about Chuck West. I am, publically apologizing to Chuck for those comments. Chuck and I do not always agree about the Todd Collection, but they are saving historically significant cars, and for that I thank them.
StewartP

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 01:57 AM

Note the tach location in this pic.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 01:58 AM

Quote:

The icing on the cake. Look at the hood on the 3263 car.

So we are back to the drawing board

Also, Stewart as usual your a CLASS ACT.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 01:58 AM

The discussion continues. I know the yellow car was remotored into a Hemi Car, I drove it at Bradenton the week before Christmas (1975) during tests for the Winternationals. Joe P will be here tomorrow and I will ask him to get involved

StewartP

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 02:05 AM

Maybe between Joe & Dick O the mystery can be solved.
Lets don't forget this one. (in the MIX)

Not to many photos of this flying around
Bill R---- photo

Attached picture 4858103-43.jpg

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 02:20 AM

I was under the belief that car was rebodied into the McDade Dart Sport which would become the 3263 car.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 02:27 AM

Quote:

I was under the belief that car was rebodied into the McDade Dart Sport which would become the 3263 car.

I will see your

And raise you 2

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 05:29 AM

OK, Missile Hounds, before I sign off for the night, here are 4 more shots of the blue Dart Sport while sitting on the open trailer.

Under hood first.

Bill Rolik

Attached picture 4858474-120508.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 05:30 AM

Trunk area and chute setup.

BR

Attached picture 4858475-1205080001.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 05:31 AM

"The Office", from the opposite side.

BR

Attached picture 4858477-1205080002.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 05:32 AM

Firewall and bellhousing area.

Also, the data recorder is visible through the windshield!

BR

Attached picture 4858480-1205080003.JPG

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 01:05 PM

Keep in mind this also, a B/A car weighed 5 pounds per C.I. -- meaning that a 450ci motor would have to weigh 2250 with driver. I know they did not use aluminum motors - and Carlton weighed 180? I seriously doubt they gave any weight away.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/05/08 02:40 PM

I'm sticking with my theory that the Blue RS Dart Sport is the McDade/3263 car. Too many similarities between the two.
Posted By: swede76

larry morgan pictures rod shop challenger 73 - 12/18/08 02:08 PM

Hi Im loking for some pictures on rod shop Larry Morgans challenger -73 email to mopar_forever@hotmail.com if any one have some

Tanks Robert
Posted By: Frito

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 12/19/08 04:22 AM

Quote:

Maybe between Joe & Dick O the mystery can be solved.
Lets don't forget this one. (in the MIX)

Not to many photos of this flying around
Bill R---- photo

I saw Don driving this car in the mid 70s on a COOOOLD Wednesday night at National Trail. It was a booked in Pro Stock show. I think it was the U. S. Pro Stock Association or someting of the sort.
We drove over two hours from West Virgina to attend and back that night.
I have sat here for over two hours checking and double checking the photos and reading the stories. My back hurts and my feet stink but I love this site. Thanks for all who have contributed.

Re: larry morgan pictures rod shop challenger 73 - 12/19/08 01:33 PM

You mean this one?

Attached picture 4888526-morgan2.jpg
Posted By: swede76

Re: larry morgan pictures rod shop challenger 73 - 12/19/08 02:12 PM

Yes! tanks ! i have this car today and whill restored this car so its looks like when larry had the car..do you have more pictures ?

Tanks Robert
sweden
Posted By: mgpanos

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 01/08/09 04:50 AM

Quote:

OK, Missile Hounds, before I sign off for the night, here are 4 more shots of the blue Dart Sport while sitting on the open trailer.

Under hood first.

Bill Rolik

This is definately a Carlton/Hodges built car, just look at the front suspension. I can't remember what this was called, but it was similar to a tube front axle, but cut in the middle and pivoted there to allow the front wheels to move. If you have ever wondered why some of the Carlton A-bodies have a positive camber-look to the front wheels in a wheelstand, this is why. There was no articulation in the spindle (ball joints) so the wheel/tire just followed an arc as it moved out of the wheelwell.

Also, this has been a great thread, but don't place too much stock in car numbers. Remember, the number went with the driver and the association, not the car. One week, Donnie could be racing NHRA B/A with 2041 on the window, and then the next be in IHRA Pro Stock with a different number on the same car.

And yes, Clyde was the other driver in the photo showing two "Don Carlton" cars. He was pretty proud to have beat the boss that day, as I recall.

Mark

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 01/08/09 12:27 PM

Thought I'd heard or read somewhere the front wheels/suspension were also designed so one side was further forward than the opposite side to provide "more time" in the staging beams?

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 01/08/09 01:31 PM

Quote:

Thought I'd heard or read somewhere the front wheels/suspension were also designed so one side was further forward than the opposite side to provide "more time" in the staging beams?

My car is set up that way. About 1-1.5" difference
I am sure Pappas will chime in sometime soon.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 01/09/09 04:13 AM

There was so much silent ingenuity that went into these cars to the point you'd never suspect anything was amiss. I think it was Fred who indicated in a post some time back that guys would not want other cars of similar make parked near them or the changes though subtle would become quite apparent next to a "stock" body.
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 01/09/09 09:47 AM

Quote:

Under the heading of "Better Late Than Never" The Dianna Duster was a Modified Production car that ran in NHRA Street Eliminator. What made it unique was its 305" small block, which put it in the land of the 302 Chevies, E/MP. The destroked pieces were from Chrysler's Trans Am program, and all the Bowtie head writing the article kept refering to was how pricey those internal parts were. (well, they were) which probably contrbutes to the still popular notion that "You can build a Chevy a whole lot cheaper than a Mopar", but that subject is for another board and thread.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 01/09/09 12:11 PM

Quote:

Tom Hoover talked about trick this many years ago during one of his "show and tell" informal seminars.

Re: 70's GUYS" The Carlton Pic. (HOOD SCOOPS Article) - 01/09/09 02:25 PM

Quote:

And yes, Clyde was the other driver in the photo showing two "Don Carlton" cars. He was pretty proud to have beat the boss that day, as I recall.

So I take it you were at the track that day.

But "what" car was Clyde driving.???

Was it the yellow car....or the blue R/Shop car.?
Or ...???
Posted By: mgpanos

Re: 70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?) - 05/15/09 03:01 AM

I found some video of Clyde Hodges running this car in PS in 1975, and also the Billy "The Kid" Stepp Colt. You can find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbOIlMMMzbA&feature=player_embedded

Mark
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: 70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?) - 05/15/09 03:53 AM

Thanks a ton, I wonder if we can record that off of you tube ? Love that Mark Burkhart 71 Plymouth flopper !! Kev would have loved watching that !
Posted By: HMcCandless_Jr

Re: 70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?) - 05/15/09 04:00 AM

Im not sure which car or what year but my dad told me he was at a race and told Don Carlton to go move his Pro Stocker NOW, Donnie said Why Herb its fine where it is, well some guy had just driven a stock elim car that was the same body and parked it next to Don's car. My dad then said well Don why do you think they raised the windshield in that Stocker? Donnie immediatly got in his Pro Stocker with the windshield laid back and moved his car. These stories are Drag Racing History. Don was the little guy in Lenior that made it big.

Herb McCandless Jr
Posted By: Sledge_57

Re: 70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?) - 05/15/09 04:16 AM

Cool story but it was weird seeing one of Kevins posts at the top ..............
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?) - 05/15/09 04:56 AM

Quote:

Cool story but it was weird seeing one of Kevins posts at the top ..............

Exactly how I reacted... RIP Kevin, gone but not forgotten

Re: 70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?) - 05/15/09 12:30 PM

I really miss the posts from Kevin. He added a LOT to this site.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: 70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?) - 05/15/09 03:37 PM

Quote:

Im not sure which car or what year but my dad told me he was at a race and told Don Carlton to go move his Pro Stocker NOW, Donnie said Why Herb its fine where it is, well some guy had just driven a stock elim car that was the same body and parked it next to Don's car. My dad then said well Don why do you think they raised the windshield in that Stocker? Donnie immediatly got in his Pro Stocker with the windshield laid back and moved his car. These stories are Drag Racing History. Don was the little guy in Lenior that made it big.

Herb McCandless Jr

Anybody got a picture of the two cars sitting side-by-side? That would be a great photo.

Re: 70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?) - 05/16/09 02:36 AM

All of the known photos were destroyed under orders of Mopar and Direct Connection!!
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: 70's GUYS The Carlton Pics. (Yellow Car is #2041 Car.?) - 05/16/09 11:39 AM

Quote:

Im not sure which car or what year but my dad told me he was at a race and told Don Carlton to go move his Pro Stocker NOW, Donnie said Why Herb its fine where it is, well some guy had just driven a stock elim car that was the same body and parked it next to Don's car. My dad then said well Don why do you think they raised the windshield in that Stocker? Donnie immediatly got in his Pro Stocker with the windshield laid back and moved his car.

I used to race with a guy who had one of Larry Kopp's Malibu Comp cars. Supposedly Larry had sold it because of the exact same reason. Someone parked a stock Bu next to him and a tech guy happened to be standing there.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 05/16/09 01:07 PM

Quote:

Yep Kevin that was the Rodger Denny Colt - now another car in the mix
WireCar today

Call me an ideot,,,

Why is this the "wire" car, was it a chassis with body pannels hung on wires, or was this a wireing template car??

Kasey
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 05/16/09 01:40 PM

Here's a link to Stewart's article on the wire car.

http://www.allpar.com/racing/missile/wire-car.html
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Lets have the "OLD GUYS" explain this Carlton Pic - 05/16/09 04:57 PM

just some hypothosis..from following along.
the RS car in the latter photo's has the pinch weld drip rails (roof line) intact..
while most all of the carlton cars
(and
S/M cars) has this removed?

also..Didnt Lauren Zedic (Zeeker)do the 4 link bars..? (originally?)
cheapst.
© 2024 Moparts Forums