Quote:

Those pistons with a heart shaped dish are interesting. Looking at some old engine books, there is no mention of that or anything like it.Of course, the books were 20 years old. These pistons look like newer designs. The raised/flat portion is designed for Quench, right? I saw another piston design somewhere that had a raised section and a stepped down section. 1/3 was raised, 2/3 was stepped down at what looked like at least .060-.080 lower. Seems like the same principal at play. I'd think as long as a safe amount of meat was left to support the rings, you'd get a lower/safer compression ratio while maintaining quench.
Thanks guys. I enjoy learning about this stuff!

2 different pistons designs for 2 different cylinder hears .

the D dish is used in a stroker application with a closed chamber head , you get the flat as close to zero deck as needed so you can build quench(squish) and the dish helps lower the compression.

The other piton with the small D shaped dome is for use with an open chamber head, The D dome makes the piston APPEAR to be a flat top in an open chamber head but it requires machining of the open chambers of the head to make them flat and uniform across the head because as cast they are anything but.

I had diamond do this one with a D dome AND a dish for a build I speced for a friend a couple years ago, the piston was a lot more affordable that one would think.

7759836-0125001701(2).jpg (299 downloads)