As Dogdays says one of my books does call it Squish and sometimes if you read enough about it you wonder if all the engineers who design the engines all agree on the Quench/Squish therory. I found it is easiest for me to just remember that when you think about Quench to remember its about if more then one flame front comes about and flame fronts collide. Ideal is one nice flame front and anything that helps that helps fight eng knock. And of course ideal quench is about .040. It was pretty basic for me as when I built my 493 which of course is the Mopar wedge eng I wanted to build a simple zero deck flattop piston eng with a wedge combustion chamber and a .040 head gasket for perfect quench. After I decked my block and fit everything I was about .005 off as my pistons came out about .007 down and it was close enough for my setup. But it is easy to build a good quench bigblock Mopar wedge when starting from scratch. Just shoot for .040 quench and dont worry if you totally understand its therory. And this is never a waste of time because know matter how matter times this board talks about quench it seems everytime I always learn more about it. I agree with what Brad posted that after .050 you start to loose the quench effect. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 06/29/13 09:03 AM.