Ive seen a few good examples of good effort being put into quench and what happens when its not. I have seen two 360s very similar other than one being a quench motor and one not. The quench motor was a 10:1 deal and the non quench was in the 9s. The quench motor was able to run a good amount more timing with little problems with knock. The other motor constantly fought with knock and would put some race gas in so he could run the timing where it needed to be on the track. The quench motor was also about .75 faster in the 1/4 in a slightly heavier car. This was like 15 years ago so the details are a little fuzzy, it did however burn "quench is good" into my head for life.

I often wonder about the stroker 4.0 in my jeep. I built it in a hurry and didn't put forth any effort into quench etc. I just followed a canned recipe for a budget stroker motor. Its mid 9s compresion and fights detonation with premium fuel in the warmer months. I often wonder how much power and efficiency I left on the table by not going the extra mile and putting some effort into quench. I was however in a time crunch as it was my daily driver and I blew the motor up(ingested water).

68 Barracuda Formula S 340