Quote:

Why do you need to buy a carb from someone? What are they doing with it? Why? What is the theory behind this? I know the quantities go up with E-85, and you have to have bigger jets, this should be a calculation. Why can't I modify my carb? Is there a "secret hole" that has to be drilled? I have been working on carbs for over 45 years, I'm not new. I have some max wedge carbs I am going to try this with, but I am going with bigger jets. Should I send my carb to some expert to modify? I think I can put these together with my eyes closed, what do "they" know that I cannot learn? Isn't the whole theory just that there is 70% the energy of gas in alcohol. The AF ratio is different as well. I have seen these threads everywhere but NEVER have seen the "whys". Here is a big question, what do you do with the timing? I could go to the track and figure this out I guess. So, if we can state the theroy here, in this thread, we can all learn, and don't have to go to some "expert" who is no smarter than any of us, eh?

Not that the "experts" are any smarter,but experience is a great source of information.There are many things we have learned from AJ Casini about E-85.
E-85 blends are not cosistant
Fuel system componants must be alcohol compatable.pumps,regulaters,filters,seals,gaskets,needle valves,etc.

Jetting,airbleeds and emulsion wells in the metering plates must be calibrated for E-85.

Engine temperture is critical.

fuel delivery needs to be adjusted(pump volume,cams,and squirters as well as primary to secendary linkage ratios).

The good thing with those who have had experience and success with E-85 can get you your starting point or baseline.

As many know AJ has been running this stuff for years and has been a consistant winner with his cars and has successfully tuned many other racers.At BGR, AJ Casini is our"go to guy"for E-85.