Quote:

come to find out the dig 6 is not recommended for alcohol/methanol and anything over 11:1 compression so that may be the problem.

I'm not sure who told you that, but I don't really agree. Lots of guys running digital 6 (including me) on turbo E85 cars. The boosted motors need a lot of spark because it tends to get "blown out" under high pressure.

Quote:

Why do you need to buy a carb from someone? What are they doing with it? Why? What is the theory behind this? I know the quantities go up with E-85, and you have to have bigger jets, this should be a calculation. Why can't I modify my carb? Is there a "secret hole" that has to be drilled? I have been working on carbs for over 45 years, I'm not new. I have some max wedge carbs I am going to try this with, but I am going with bigger jets. Should I send my carb to some expert to modify? I think I can put these together with my eyes closed, what do "they" know that I cannot learn? Isn't the whole theory just that there is 70% the energy of gas in alcohol. The AF ratio is different as well. I have seen these threads everywhere but NEVER have seen the "whys". Here is a big question, what do you do with the timing? I could go to the track and figure this out I guess. So, if we can state the theroy here, in this thread, we can all learn, and don't have to go to some "expert" who is no smarter than any of us, eh?

Well two things here.
1) Getting max rich right under WOT under most RPM ranges is not that hard. Like you said it's just adding fuel. The problem is though making the fuel curve flat is more then just putting a big hole in it. Both HSAB's and emulsion holes are changed on E85 carbs to get it right. Not to say you can't do that, but for me I was willing to pay for someones knowledge on that part.

2) The other issue is knowing the limitation of the carb itself that you're starting with. I know on my carb specifically it had a booster change, as well as having the mainwell size changed to support enough fuel flow. The main well change then dictated specific emulsion changes to go with it to get the fuel to pull up the main well.

I can tell you that Eric from Horsepower innovations services anesthesiology equipment for a living. Obviously gas flow is EXTREMELY critical in that field. He has a VERY good understanding of gas flow, and some incredible equipment to do testing/measurement with that most people don't have access to.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that are converting from home though. I was just willing to pay for the "bolt on and go" carb. Especially because I didn't have one to start with, so it wasn't that much of a stretch to pay for when starting from scratch anyway.

By the way, Mike my fuel system was all 100% brand new (including the tank). I'm really not sure why it gummed up like it did.