Quote:

i dont know Ryan.....i still think that $4400 for a set of bare castings that arent vastly superior to some of the other stuff out there that costs a lot less $$$, is a big chunk of change.

where is the special niche that these heads are going to fill that will justify the cost?

these heads arent going to make the "big" power numbers on a large cube motor....not like a set of B1's or 572-13's will....they just arent big enough.
so, why tie up $6500 in some heads that arent big enough to support the big cubes, and build a 500"+/- motor, when for the same kind of total cash outlay you could build a 540 or 572 with different heads, and make more power.

i think in a 450-500ci package they are going to be great heads....with more difference than some of the other offerings showing up on the lower end if that CI scale.
at 500", i think the std B1's are going to make more power....at a much lower cost.
and, they dont need a $2200 CNC program porting job done to them to get 380+cfm from them(i have a set here that had a quick home port job done to them that flow over 380cfm).

so, regardless of how much R&D went into them, and the fact that they flow very good numbers for their runner size....the fact is that on a dollar per HP scale, they dont really stack up all that well.

B1 Ken has an 875hp motor using std B1's that he has about $9000 into, for the whole motor.
if you start out with the Chapman VI's and end up having $6500 in the top end....that only leaves $2500 to build the rest of the motor.

IMO, MP missed the mark on these heads by making them so expensive.
the object is to make parts that people will buy. if you price things too high, they dont sell.

there just isnt any justifiable reason why a std stage VI head should cost any more than a B1 head or an Indy head....it certainly isnt made any better.

LOL Again, I'm not arguing that they are a good value per $ (IMO they are'nt), all I wanted to point out was that it is more or less Chapman setting the price on them not MP. And if it was MP's bright idea to come out with this head, full knowing what it would cost in the end, then you are right, they missed the boat once AGAIN at what customers are really going to go buy and want. Then again they miss the boat every day though, so should'nt be surprising.

But my guess is with a grand total of 35 CNC heads currently on the shelf, they will in time sell them all. They've had NUMEROUS NUMEROUS Chapman CNC W7/8 heads with special part #'s over the years with outrageous prices, and stuff always ends up selling out eventually. The set of 8's I'm trying to snag right now were a low production Chapman CNC head that has a MP CNC part #, list price was $3250 on them each.