Quote:

When rewelding a K-member (or sheetmetal), do you just weld on the outer ridge of both parts (like most do), or do you want to grind through the first sheet/part (between the org. spotwelds) and weld a bed there for a more functional weld?

I know the K-member is thicker gauge so it might not be that relevant, but on sheetmetal where 2 sheets come together I think it would be much more solid that way.

(Photoshopped example below)

That's an excellent question, to the best of my memory, one that has not been ever addressed here before. IMO adding any weld to the outside of the two meeting flanges is not a very efficient design solution. Sure it helps, but so would epoxy. Other then redesigning the entire K member, adding quality, and very numerous additional spot welds would be best. This weld doesn't seem to fail very often, therefore it is likely not very stressed, however removing gaps in non welded areas should make it more rigid. The problem of spot welding a nearly uncleanable joint, remains an issue, and many here do not have access to suitable spot welder.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.