Quote:

It might seem that our cars were just tacked together, but they DID last this long, right?

Anybody has my permission to cherry pick the following.

1. I suspect the above would be referring to millions of Mopar k members
2. Those k members combined have driven trillions of miles.
3. Known/reported failure of any mopar k member structural spot welds is rare or non existent
4. Any common steel welded part that flexes, eventually will fail
5. The more/greater a common steel welded part flexes, the sooner it will fail.
6. The mopar k member is a common steel welded part
7. Additional welding usually reduces flex in a multi piece steel partially welded component
7. There have been numerous reports of visible gear box mounting flex when turning the front wheels at a dead stop
8. I suspect that the turning of front wheels at a dead stop MAY(?) be the highest loads a steering gear box encounters.
9. I also suspect these steering gear box loads decrease as speed increases from zero, until front wheel gyroscope issues arise.
10. I would also suspect a NY mopar taxi would have the highest failure of any weak spot welds on a K member.
11. I would also suspect Mopar would recall any K members that would be likely to have spot welds fail.
12. I also would think that few experienced drivers at speed abruptly input steering corrections in non panic situations
13. I would think abrupt steering inputs in panic situations at high speed are not finesse based
14. Steering smoothness is a normal drivers goal when operating at high speed on dry asphalt
15. I suspect the faster steering inputs are added, the higher the forces the steering box mounting sees
16. I wonder if higher cornering g forces are easily misconstrued by a driver as requiring greater steering wheel forces.
17. I suspect the faster the car goes, it does not significantly increase the forces the steering box mountings see
18. Reducing mounting point flex for improved driver confidence, normally in HP driving situations, IMO, does not include concern of hitting curbs, potholes, road debris, dead penguins, etc
19. Non of the above is intended to address LCA mounting hole blow out, because that repair is not intended as a fix for improved steering response.
20. No hidden final conclusions are intended in any of the above.

Last edited by jcc; 03/03/12 12:29 AM.