Quote:

Quote:

A man needs to know his limitations...

Wow, that's kind of harsh,

Having high load and high stress are different things. If a part see high load it does not mean it has high internal stress level. These OEM LCA are over designed, never read any report of failure on any forum. By welding gussets at the end of the stiffening flanges I reduce even more the stress level in the part and if half of my welding is bad I still have a stronger part.

The Clint quote, IMO goes over most people heads in my experience. Overconfidence, ie not knowing one's limits, has a long history of failures. The other side of course is no action because of fear of failure, the correct balance, and/or luck is the sweet spot we seek.

I don't feel anything here yet is harsh, maybe direct and sincere.

Speaking in terms of high load vs high stress in this format is likely just semantics IMO. High load is usually relative to the item being loaded, therefore it is high stress if part is near its limits, we seldom care how the load forces on the LCA compares to the license plate bracket load forces, for instance.

However reinforcing an OEM part without any real history of past failures, and needing no proven special requirement for additional strength, and saying no matter what the weld quality, it will be stronger in the outcome, reminds me of the Clint quote. There are induced stresses imputed when welding, There are stress risers created in changing cross sectional thicknesses by adding reinforcements, etc. Saying the item is stronger categorically is a leap of faith IMO.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.