Quote:

Based on what I was reading in this section I'm sure you or one of the other guys can answer this basic engine yr vs model yr question in a flash...

If you have a car, say 1970, that was built Sept-Dec of the prior yr (1969).... Exactly what would be stamped on the top engine pad E440(69) or F440(70)???

The only # matching cars I had & ever cared to look at... were all assembled at the begining of the calander yr Feb-April and the motor matched the model yr. However my 70 6pack Road Runner was built 10/23/69 and the motor was long gone when I got it in 86 [raced most of it's life... One of many I suspect that were found at local race tracks (like Englishtown) with "MIGHTY MOPAR" or something similar on the side]

I put a 70 F440 HP six pack motor in it that came out of a wrecked RT Challenger. The ribbed block was cast in Nov 69(9 looks pretty close to an 8) & assembled in Jan 70. I have always wondered if I should be looking for one that is E440 assembled in early Oct 69... and would such a motor have the externally balanced crank & six pack rods or be built without, more like the A12 cars?

Or should 440/383 motors built in late 69 for 70 cars still have an F code instead of an E to match the model year?

Thanks

runner2go, I just saw this question.

I think what you're asking is whether or not the EAD (engine assembly date) found on the boss pad with it's year designation (D=1968, E=1969, F=1970 etc) reflects the actual year it (the engine) was built OR...reflects the year of the car it was targeted for.

Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

If you read the description it refers to the boss pad date (EAD) being 8 (August) and the letter being F (1970).

No way 1970 cars were still being built as late as August of 1970. If this is acurate info it was stamped 8 for August (of 1969) and F for the designated 1970 car it was going into (the following year).

A12s were abnormal mid year squeeze in efforts which included shorter than average time spans between production steps. As a result, all A12 EADs reflect 1969 (not 68) dates between March and June as well as the E440 designation for 69.

Link to Slideshow...turn the music up. http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/F39VvCq5/1/1491997 ...So when does government's A12 welfare start?..