Who's got original cars willing to offer up vins, line sequences, and Engine Assembly Dates (EAD)?

What we're trying to uncover is a sequence pattern underlying all codes which will influence and/or confirm all dates, on all parts, on all A12 cars.

Whether you have an original car, or are looking to replicate originality, understanding the vin and line sequence code - in relation to the EAD - will help us determine dating on all A12s.

If we know how various EADs correlate with vins and line sequence numbers on original cars, we can fill in the gaps in approximate terms with non original car vins and line sequence numbers.

So we'll be focusing on the entire A12 group through comparing and correlating original car info.

That means taking the earliest and latest known original car vin/line sequence/EAD combinations, then fitting in between that all other known original combinations (on the time line).

Then studying the numbers to see where other vin/sequence combinations might go on non original motor cars. Through that, all EADs should be clearer. What should develope is a general picture of when all cars (with original and non original motors) were built.

Now before we get too far ahead Dave offers some very good info. It seems the runners are relatively organized from what he can gather as far as true sequential patterning. The bees are a little different and will need more info to qualify sequential order.

He is also considering requesting this info during Registry application. That way the info would be on record and available always. Another idea would be to get Mr. Govier involved for some data input and research guidance.

Back to date codes...

If we look at this in reverse order, starting with say an original A12 distributor (in the Berlisk article on the plating thread) we see that the date is 189 which is the 18th week of 69- or mid May.

Moving forward in the car assembly sequence, and forward in real time, the date code we come to next is the engine assembly date on the boss pad. This same original A12 motor in the article has an engine assembly date of June 18, 69.

So the distributor was dated (made at Prestolite) 4 weeks before the engine was assembled. This is one example of what the time lag is on this particular part on an original motor. (which can be repeated on all parts, to some degree of reliability, by using the Berlisk article or info from other original A12 cars).

The point is, all 'bolt on part' date codes are dictated by the EAD, which is as explained better understood through the vin, line sequence, and EAD comparative research noted above.

I know, I know, this is just another blanket statement which never seems to hold up in all cases. But we're hoping to gain some sort of broad knowledge where dates should be.

Wouldn't it be nice if you knew what month, or even day in 69 your brand new car left Lynch Road? Solving the above would go a long way towards gaining that understanding.

As I said, this is not a science, it's based on averages. I'm no expert, there might be a much more accurrate, easier way. If so, I'm all ears. Please pipe up and offer your ideas if interested in teaching/learning more about our car's birth dates. This forum is a powerful information medium. Let's use it to our advantage through sharing.

So, who's got an original car willing to offer up their vin, line sequence, and Engine Assembly Date (EAD)?

Best regards,
Coop

Link to Slideshow...turn the music up. http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/F39VvCq5/1/1491997 ...So when does government's A12 welfare start?..