Quote:

I'm likely the only guy out there to break a 8.8 behind a auto. 2.73 geared stock 5.0 mustang.

Hah! Yup. That takes some talent.

There was a street racer here a while back that ran a stock LX with a 5speed. Engine was stock, even the exhaust was stock, though he may have had headers (hard to hear). Rearend was stock too, but likely geared. All this guy had was a pretty big NOS kit and some creative chassis tuning, and some drag radials.

This guy used to run every week, and would run anyone. He was always running someone. He'd do his burnout, then pull up to the line all quiet-like. When the arms went up he'd bring it to 5000RPM and when they dropped he'd dump the clutch and nearly pull the tire. NOS hit right after it settled. That car ran 11's. I have no idea how many times that 8.8 got hammered with a 5000RPM clutch dump, with sticky tires. He never hurt it. That always impressed the hell outta me.

I had plans to fab in a Cobra 8.8" in my Challenger (to replace the original 7 1/4"... grrr), just to get the 3.27 gears and posi and big 11" discs all at once. But paying a guy to do it pretty much brought the price up enough to warrant just buying some aftermarket discs and a used 489 or 742 SG pig for the spare 8 3/4" E-body rear i already have kicking around. The chassis guy said that the 8.8 would definitely outlast the Mopar diff though. It was too even to make a decision, so i figured my car aint gonna sit that low, i dont want an ugly bolted diff cover sticking out under my pretty bumper... haha