Quote:

Quote:

Last set of 906 heads I had gone thru cost me about $1300. And when I was done I still had the crappy open combustion chamber design that the factory engineers stuck us with. I think that was my very last set of iron heads! The next set of heads were some Edelbrock RPM's that I sent to Dwayne.

The above mentioned rationale is the exact reason I do 516's over any open chamber BB head. I'd rather have an efficient quench motor that something that detonates itself to a premature death. I pick up swapmeet deals on the take-off parts from those Edelbrocks, do my own bowl/template porting and all said and done...........wrap up about $600 in a set of heads that I know are done right. Standard valve size, steel retainers and all. But it'll still make a fun footbrake bracket car.

When time comes to throw down for an aftermarket set of heads, currently the Indy EZ's look like the only deal for me. The revised/new intake port, taller valves and some porting will create all the HP a production block will reliably handle from what I understand.

Anything inbetween those heads are a stepping stone.

This is a great thread and no disrespect to any of the machinists out there. But if you supply your own parts and porting it changes the total sum quickly.

Yes, you may be able to source parts for less (but I see this alot and the parts are mismatched for what in intended) and doing the porting yourself will save $$$.

But...if you were to start with a newer head, all new parts and do the porting yourself (and make improvements instead of hurting flow/power) think of how much more power you'll have and with new heads vs. older stuff.
I just did a 380HP 360 with older heads and mild port 2.02 valves etc...they flowed 233 cfm. For a couple hundred dollars more he could have went with our RHS heads and made 400+. That is a great cost vs. HP gained.
However, he wasn't bothered by that at all, and was very happy so...it's true every thing has it's place and old iron is not completely dead!!

Brian Hafliger