Quote:

Last set of 906 heads I had gone thru cost me about $1300. And when I was done I still had the crappy open combustion chamber design that the factory engineers stuck us with. I think that was my very last set of iron heads! The next set of heads were some Edelbrock RPM's that I sent to Dwayne.

The above mentioned rationale is the exact reason I do 516's over any open chamber BB head. I'd rather have an efficient quench motor that something that detonates itself to a premature death. I pick up swapmeet deals on the take-off parts from those Edelbrocks, do my own bowl/template porting and all said and done...........wrap up about $600 in a set of heads that I know are done right. Standard valve size, steel retainers and all. But it'll still make a fun footbrake bracket car.

When time comes to throw down for an aftermarket set of heads, currently the Indy EZ's look like the only deal for me. The revised/new intake port, taller valves and some porting will create all the HP a production block will reliably handle from what I understand.

Anything inbetween those heads are a stepping stone.

This is a great thread and no disrespect to any of the machinists out there. But if you supply your own parts and porting it changes the total sum quickly.

R.I.P.- Gary "Coop" Davis 02/09/68-05/13/04