Quote:

Speaking as a vastly underqualified person of this forum........

and an owner of several sets of X & J heads.

This is a great thread!

As I read the threads on the "Can I use my aftermarket heads OOTB?", I've got to believe that getting those mass produced latest offerings up to race standards is NOT for free. Touching up the valve job, correct application valve springs & retainers, correcting valve guide tolerances, fixing exhaust valve seat inserts and whatever other horror stories...........

Without going into what it costs for me to get a set here locally freshened.....I'm just wondering how much, on average, most racers pay IN TOTAL for a set of ready-to-run aftermarket heads.

I know when it comes to "Quench" and using a better port & combustion chamber design it's worth the $$$.

I understand if you want to go real fast..........then you start with a "clean sheet" engine build....open wallet wide if you want the big HP.

It just seems like there may be a valid case where a budget minded bracket racer street/strip guy could justify using the old iron.

The 360 heads I have required or still require:
hot tanking
sand blasting
A full set of guide inserts
exhaust seat inserts
Machine for teflon guide seals
enlarge the spring seats
hone the guides
cut the seats
Machine out/extract broken exhaust manifold studs
re-machine worn corroded exhaust gasket face
Re-surface head

add in the cost of the core
What does it equal to? I probably could have a RHS head machined up for the same $$$ or less, even if it's a little more, I end up with a better cylinder head!

Alan Jones