Quote:

propperly done you don't need to bypass the ammeter and add allmost any alt you want...

you can run a 1000 amps alt if you want but the output will be just what car demands.

the closer to the demand you can feed at iddle, the safer you'll get all the charging system even with an ammeter.

once again, as far is propperly wired.

SORRY BUT THIS JUST AIN'T TRUE

All that needs to happen with your so called "1000 amp alternator"--or even a 100 amp is for the owner to

FORGET AND LEAVE THE LIGHTS ON when parked for say, an hour. The owner comes back, starts the car, and wants to drive off.

NOW YOU HAVE A CONDITION where an extreme amount of current is going through the ammeter and bulkhead connections

I used to have one of the big frame 100+ mopar alternators on my 340 Landcruiser, and a 0-100A S&W meter. I had a Worn Wench and two batteries. After a little "wenchin" that alternator would BURY the 100A meter until it caught up.

THIS SAME SITUATION in a Dodge pickup flat melted the stock ammeter and the plastic dash around it

I guess some of you have some fantasy about "feathering the gas" until the battery charges up. I don't