Quote:

Quote:

...Combine that with the tranny adapter to put a 904 behind it and it just might be possible.

A 904 would certainly be one option, and probably the easiest fit in an early A. It might not be that hard to fit a T5 or some other OD trans to take full advantage of the light-throttle, small-displacement scenario.

Considering I'd use this for a lot of highway friving, I think OD would be a big advantage. Any recommendations on an OD transmission that would fit easily in a 69 cuda? I really don't want to have to cut anything up to put this combo together. Ideally, I'd put the engine transmission in the car and bolt the 904 (or whatever OD) and then build the motor mounts to fit that set up. Ideally, I wouldn't have to change the driveshaft.

Quote:

Quote:

...I'd think my biggest issues would be getting the belts, hoses, and linkages (throttle, tranny, etc) worked out.

Belts would probably just be the typical belts for the engine package. Hoses would be pretty straight-forward as well I think. Throttle/tranny linkage would be cables pirated from the FWD package, and are pretty easy to adapt. I've got a Magnum V8 throttle cable adapted to my 69 Valiant's EFI setup, and all it really took was a small flat file to tweak the gas pedal mount and some flat metal stock to mount the cable.

Good point on the belts and I can't imagine the throttle linkage would be that bad based on what you sad. Kickdown linkage would just be a Lokar or something like that.

Quote:

I think before I spent a lot of time looking at an old 2.2L, I'd investigate the newer 2.4L engine combo. Newer technology, easy 16V availability, still in production, lots of upgrade parts... The 2.4L in 2002 Jeep Liberty had 150hp and 167lb-ft stock. Not bad for an unboosted engine.

Clair

Well, that's 2 of you that have recommended it. I wonder how hard it would be to add a turbo to it? See below for more questions/comments on the 2.4L.

Quote:

Motor mount would have to be fully custom. I would make semi-functional templates out of wood first, then copy them in steel. But honestly if you don't have a welder, I don't think it's a good idea. I mean you really want to be able to fab some of this stuff up yourself on the fly. But by all means give it a try, it's something I've always wanted to do.

I can easily make the wood version. I have all the tools for that (plus the expertise). I don't have a welder right now. But, I do have a friend that has one and I'm sure I could borrow it. Then, there's my other buddy with the machine shop....

Quote:

IMO a 2.4 is a better choice. 16v, dohc, 150hp stock. I've seen a few dyno sheets from guys on the turbo boards who've built 2.4's, bolt on a hx/hy 35 turbo off a dodge cummins and lay down 450hp at the crank with a good tune, good intercooler and a smack load of boost!

OK...that's 2 of you that made this suggestion. I'll definitely take a look at it. My dad lives just a few miles down the road from a junkyard out in rural GA and I bet we could get a rebuildable 2.4L core fairly cheap. I'll check out the cummins option on the turbo. I wonder what the best donor car for such an animal would be?

I don't need 450HP. But I would like to get the car up to 200HP and boost the torque a bit. I know that the 318 was rated around 200HP. I wouldn't need a screamer - just enough to allow me to keep up with Atlanta traffic.

I assume I'd need to get the computer as well? Or would I be better off going aftermarket?

Now, the last thing I need is a fargin job to pay for it. Sheesh!

1966 Barracuda 1968 Barracuda convertible 1930 Ford Model A (soon to be hemi equipped) 2006 Dodge 3500 4X4 CTD Quad Cab