Quote:

...Having said that, you got me thinking that you could use a turbo motor and perhaps cherry pick some parts from a Dakota to get what you need to help make it RWD.

We have a WINNER!! There was a 2.2 T2 early Dakota on ePay a year or three back, and it looked like the biggest problem that guy had was that the throttle body pointed in to the firewall of the Dakota.

Quote:

...Combine that with the tranny adapter to put a 904 behind it and it just might be possible.

A 904 would certainly be one option, and probably the easiest fit in an early A. It might not be that hard to fit a T5 or some other OD trans to take full advantage of the light-throttle, small-displacement scenario.

Quote:

...I'd be lost when it comes to making the mounts, though. I do have a friend that runs a machine shop. If I can fashion up the mounts using cardboard, I'm sure he can make them.

The mounts do seem like they'll be a little tricky, but that's mostly because I'm not familiar with how the early Daks handled that. I've only seen one I4 Dak in the salvage yard, and I didn't pay much attention to how the mounts were done that day...

Quote:

...I'd think my biggest issues would be getting the belts, hoses, and linkages (throttle, tranny, etc) worked out.

Belts would probably just be the typical belts for the engine package. Hoses would be pretty straight-forward as well I think. Throttle/tranny linkage would be cables pirated from the FWD package, and are pretty easy to adapt. I've got a Magnum V8 throttle cable adapted to my 69 Valiant's EFI setup, and all it really took was a small flat file to tweak the gas pedal mount and some flat metal stock to mount the cable.

I think before I spent a lot of time looking at an old 2.2L, I'd investigate the newer 2.4L engine combo. Newer technology, easy 16V availability, still in production, lots of upgrade parts... The 2.4L in 2002 Jeep Liberty had 150hp and 167lb-ft stock. Not bad for an unboosted engine.

Clair