While I agree this type of combo doesn't really "need" a roller camshaft, when the budget allows I think a mild roller is a good choice. No need to chase down boutique oil or use additives, no break in required are a couple reasons. No doubt a flat tappet will get the job done though.

If done correctly the engine combo should definitely make enough power for high 10s, low 11s in a street/strip type of build in a b/e body...I don't think anyone here would debate that.

The main things I can add are, don't forget about converter, suspension,tires, and the rest of the car.

Myself I have a long way to go on suspension but am getting there over time. To give an idea how much work I have left to do....my battery is still under the hood...and I had stock shocks until fairly recently.....so I'm kinda speaking from experience. 600+HP is nice to have but putting it to the ground is a whole other thing.

For comparison, mine is:
'71 casting 400 w/ground/reworked oe 440 crank, 451ci
10.75:1, Diamond/Manley pistons and rods
E heads with no porting
.630 endurance grind solid roller
Home ported Victor, 1000cfm Race Demon
2" super comps, 3.5" X pipe, ultraflows
4500 stall, 4.10 dana
wrapped in my rusty b body
Best et so far in signature...

No it isn't a 493 but the performance levels are similar and the top end of the motor is very similar. More cubes should make the job easier to do as long as it can be made to hook up.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri