Quote:

A few thoughts based on building a similar 496" B. 10 - 11 CR is the right range. Depending on cam, closer to 10.2-10.5 would work better on pump gas. This requires a dish piston. With a long duration cam and good quench 11 may work but that's pushing it. BB's don't like detonation and you have to finish the race to win.

If you want to get the most out of it on pump gas, build a zero deck engine with a common .040 head gasket to get arount .040 quench with a "D" dish to get compression where it needs to be.

The stock port style heads make more peak power and lower ET with a big cam and high stall convertor but drivability and fuel economy suffer. I think its more fun to have a more moderate cam + convertor and enjoy the mid range torque of the stroker.

On cam type, the roller can provide better performance and avoids the issue of low zinc oil. However, since the BB wasn't designed for a roller, component selection and setup are critical. Perhaps your builder isn't comfortable with this. I wouldn't be either for what is worth.

My setup has 10.2 CR and a .55 lift [Email]243deg@.050[/Email] "fast" MM lobe mechanical flat tappet cam from Muscle Motors with comp "pro magnum" rockers. It works with the stock Ed springs. I run diesel engine oil + STP to get additional oil protection.

I guess it has 550 HP at around 5600 RPM. Torque builds quickly starting at around 2000 RPM. Mine's an manual transmission application. With an auto, a little extra stall vs stock would be needed for sharp performance but not much.

I guess I'd follow your builder's advice and go with a more moderate FT cam.

I had "reverse dome" Ross pistons in my 440 with B1-BS heads and 10 to 1 CR. My engine builder felt this gives the best quench on pump gas. The reverse dome is like a "mirror" of the combustion chamber and is measured in CCs for the CR you want.